Perfect Horsey Day!

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Up early to school Cally. I have been totally inspired by the RWYM Webinar and I have self diagnosed a host of problems with my alignment: seat bones point too far back, back is too hollow, legs too far forward, stirrups too long, centre of gravity too far back, too much weight in my stirrups! I have changed all that and feel like a hunchback but actually look ok in the mirror. The difference in Cally is amazing. Her back has come up and she is reaching forward into a contact. So that's good.

Then I took Dylan to Somerford Farm Ride with 3 friends: 6 miles of all weather track with lots of optional XC jumps. After a very hairy first 15 minutes, with all of us being only marginally in control of our mounts they all settled and we had a fabulous ride which included some fast canters and plenty of jumps too. Dylan was in his element - this type of work is familiar to him - and I discovered what amazing potential he has. His canter stride is lovely and smooth and he really covers the ground. He jumps so effortlessly that jumps that feel quite big on Cally felt like twigs on the ground on him. Now all I need to do is figure out how to get him to give me all that power and life when he isn't following 3 other horses!!

Finally I did some more groundwork with Dylan. Yesterday I had videoed myself circling him using the flag then I watched the Buck Brannaman DVD alongside my own video and played 'Spot The Difference'. Well the 2 clips (me versus Buck) really did not look very similar at all but I was able to pinpoint exactly what he was doing that I wasn't. Buck said the whole movement started with the horse yielding to you. So you step towards them, they step back, you guide them to your right but continue stepping towards them and they continue to yield away and then circle round. As they circle they maintain that yield: nose tipped slightly in but ribs yielding away and horse stepping under himself keeping his shoulder out on the circle, not falling in. The handler continues marching towards the back of the horse's inside front leg which sustains the forward movement round the circle.

Well I hadn't got the yield first bit, so I was pulling him towards me onto a circle and far from me marching towards him, he was walking towards me and I was kind of at best holding ground but actually sometimes walking backwards as we circled! And I hadn't even noticed!! Video is so useful. Anyway today I set the exercise up much better and he was yielding nicely and surprisingly he was also then moving more freely forward too. I guess because I was driving him not him driving me while I pointlessly waved a flag at him.

Happy days.....

I know, I know. But realistically if I keep Dylan, then Cally has to go. I can only just afford 3 non-earning horses. The other horse in the herd (the 4th one) needs to be a project/youngster to produce and sell on. I need to win the lottery!!!!

Or just have 3 in the first place so I don;t get into these dilemmas. But the truth is that I love horsemanship and I want to learn all I can. That means having a variety of horses to broaden my experiences and knowledge base.

No, I only signed up yesterday and paid in full via paypal and I am still awaiting to join the group, it is still pending :( although i did email them and i got an email back to say they were waiting on all the pay pal confirmations and that I should be able to get on sometime today....I am so impatient ...i can not wait to get on to it lol I watched a snippet of some of her videos, and today when i was riding Marley i made sure my seat bones were facing down (mine were also too far back and my spine was too much arched)and I wasn't putting too much weight in my stirrups etc and he went so much better, I could feel him reaching for the bit, and he was so much more foreward going and relaxed...I am still smiling...so obviously I am eager to get started :D

Reactions: chev and KP nut
newrider.com