Pete Raymee any good??

mayoguinness

Mayo my freind
Hi I was wondering what people thoughts are of the Pete Raymee trimming?? Its not that Mayos lame or anything as hes completely sound but for various reasons we can't continue with the style of trimming hes having at the mo but I was wondering about Pete Raymee!!:eek: Thoughts apreciated.

MG.:)

yes - that's the 'Wild Horse' model of barefoot trim - where you aim to simply help the hoof develop and wear into a natural shape. It's non invasive, you don't take down the sole, just allow it callous over time to develop that rock-crushing hard hoof.

It's the trim that my horses have ... but I have to say, they don't have rock-crushing feet .. I think because I don't yet have enough rough surfaces for them to walk over in everyday life, and they don't get ridden hard enough.

Are your horses sound on it?? I'm a bit weary as other types of trimming apart from the strasser as it has ended up with Mayo hobbling but Jayne Lavender has this trim done on her horses and thats what has interested me!! I might get his book and see what his veiws are on things:)

well... they're not un-sound .. they've never taken a lame step.. and in fact, I started them on it, after the first year on just a regular pasture trim by the farrier, because joe was hopping lame. On the other hand, both joe and Rosie are still 'ouchy' on sharp gravel, and they don't like hard stony ground - they will always veering to a edge of the path if they can.

There is a whole philosophy of natrual horse care that goes along with the trim - lots of changes to the pasture arrangements can be made, the emphasis is on lots of movement over varied terrain - I suspect mine all don't get worked or moved enough.

If you're in the US, I can dig out a couple of videos on the trim - Jamie Jackson does them - he was the 'other half' of that partnership til recently. And here's a barefooters site - www.nakedhoof.net run by a Pete Ramey trimmer (unfortunately there seems to be a lot of just babble on there at the moment and not much actual horse talk !)

Last edited:
No sorry I'm in the uk but thanks all the same!! I read a book and I think it was by him or Jamie Jackson about fencing off the outside of the field and putting different surfaces down and keeping the herd moving round it!! Sounds good in theory but I can't help feeling they would lack the grass with living just on hay and loose out on nutiance they need! Yeah I've read a few Jamie Jackson books and they are good. At the moment Mayo is completely sound on all types of ground but for a few reasons that I can't really descuss at the moment I might need to change trims and as long as Mayos alright with it this looks like a fairly good alternative:)

That would be 'Pasture Paradise' where you fence off like a maze round the field to keep the horses moving ... it's a bit extreme isn't it ! I wonder how many people go to those sort of lengths !

Here's a couple of pics of what would happen if I did that with joe ( who can jump ) and Rosie ( who can't ) ... :D

fieldjoe.jpg

fieldjoerosie.jpg

Yes I know;) it would be the same with ours:p The YO was actually thinking about doing it in a small way at first but for one reason or anouther it didn't happen!! It is very good in theroy but it would take me forever to put the hay all the way round the track every day espacially in our 30 acer fields and they no doubt would always be finding ways out plus we'd have to put all the surfaces down!!;) Hard work but maybe its worth it??

To answer about trimmers, KC La Pierre (HPT), Pete Ramey, Jaime Jackson (AANHCP) are all good, non invasive forms of trimming.

You can check on the EPAUK website for EPs in your area (also contact Justine as many will travel quite a long way) and on the UKNHCP for AANHCP trimmers.

The Pete Ramey / wild horse style of trimming is non invasive and the trim aims to emulate the parameters of the hooves of horses living in the toughest of environments. Once the setup trim has been done and any exfoliating sole removed (chances are your horse won't have any) then the sole is left well alone.

In general terms the heels are trimmed to just above sole level, the frog is allowed to pack down hard and the hoof wall is rolled to emulate the wear if would get on rocky terrain. In effect the trim makes the foot think it's working harder than it is, whilst keeping the horse comfortable, so it toughens up. Keeping the horse moving by maximising turnout (not dissimilar to Strasser there) and working it as much as possible, in boots and pads if necessary for comfort are also very important. The usual provisos about diet and environment apply too.

Pete Ramey's site is www.hoofrehab.com It's also well worth having a look at www.barefoothorse.com and www.ironfreehoof.com for more info about the trim and some general background.

There's also a balanced comparison of Strasser and the AANHCP / wild horse trim at http://www.thehorseshoof.com/ under the articles section called 'Choosing Your Hoofcare Provider' by someone who has trained in both methods.

There aren't that many practitioners in this country at present but there's a list at http://www.uknhcp.org/locateapractioner.html

I love Rosie's eyes in KW's illustration! How funny is that?!

Anyway. I think if you are looking at the final trimmed hoof you will find the ones by P Ramey and Jamie Jackson look very much alike. Wild Horse trim there. Even a Strasser hoof moderately trimmed will still look a lot like Wild Horse model.
I know people always lump KC La Pierre in with the rest of them but even La Pierre himself says he is not a barefoot fanatic. ;) And in fact his hoof model is based on his own studies/conclusions of hoof function rather than the wild horse model. You won't see any scooped Quarters on his feet, etc.

We developed some things that we weren't quite sure about under the Ramey model and now that we have been applying HPT for a few months those things seem to go away. I think Pete Ramey is a much more pleasant person than KC LaPierre but the changes I have seen in the hooves almost make up for KC's personality.

The one really big plus about Ramey though is that it is SIMPLE. I think if anybody wanted to have their horses trimmed solely based on reading a book, Ramey would be your safest bet. You probably can do the least harm with his method.

Karin, are you still using the same trimmer out of interest?

We developed some things that we weren't quite sure about under the Ramey model and now that we have been applying HPT for a few months those things seem to go away.

What sort of things? I'm interested because my horses are making the opposite jump, for some of the same reasons :)

but the changes I have seen in the hooves almost make up for KC's personality.

LOL!

Yes same guy trimming, but applying the different techniques.
DJ and Minose were fine with either one. And in fact DJ was better off barefoot regardless of trim style than he ever was with all his specialty shoes, etc.
But with the Ramey trim Bixby developed what LaPierre calls 'false sole'. It could have just been a case of going too crazy on the mustang roll and scooping the quarters but it seems like the sole was trying to compensate for lack of stability in the wall. Now that she is trimmed HPT the false sole ridges have disappeared.
Interestingly enough Ramey even mentions the ridges in his book so it seems to be something that wasn't just a fluke.
So what was going on with Rio in the HPT?

I think Pete Ramey is a much more pleasant person than KC LaPierre but the changes I have seen in the hooves almost make up for KC's personality.

a075.gif

Mine are trimmed by an EP but there are some very good UKNHCP trimmers around as well and I really like Pete Ramey's attitude in all the articles I've read by him, nice straightforward approach. One of my HPT ones has had some false sole, but in her case it was due to cr*p bars and it's going away now the bars are improving. It occasionally re-appears as she's shedding a big load of sole as that part is always last to give in and drop out, I guess it's probably stabilising everything while the rest of the sole sorts itself out as it's all changing very quickly at the moment.

I've studied with KC (I'm not an EP though) and have studied Pete Rameys work as well as Jaime Jackson, Marjorie Smith and Paige Poss.

I trim according to the hoof and the horse I'm dealing with at the time. My own experience leads me to believe that different hooves need different things and as a result you can't rigidly apply a method and see good results on every single horse. You have to be able to read the hoof, understand why it's doing certain things, why it's not doing other things and so on and trim based on that knowledge and understanding. As a result I'll apply the HPT to some hooves, by the book, others get more of a Pete Ramey style approach and my own horse gets whatever works for her as she's managed to confound 2 EPs in the past so is something of a difficult case.

So what was going on with Rio in the HPT?

Don't know if it was the trimmer, the trim or just my horse but rather than the feet shortening and decontracting they had started heading in the opposite direction, the heels were starting to run under and the frogs had got tall and soggy and started delaminating in the wet. However her feet have continued to improve in other respects and this wet winter doesn't seem to have set her back much, she's been pretty much fine over rocky ground and enjoyed a few road trotting races with Tess :)

Bebe did an interim trim for me a couple of weeks ago which was more along the wild horse model and looks to be helping already, they'll get their first 'official' one at the end of the month.

Thanks for your replys guys, they have given me a bit more insite into things......I haven't got a lot of experience when it comes to horses feet but I'm learning slowly;) It was the KC trim that was done when Mayo went lame and people at the farm were quite worried by the state of his feet so I changed him back to Strasser but maybe I just needed to leave them a bit longer to see what happened?? I guess it kind of unnerved me!! So how many people would have the Pete Raymee trim done on their horses??

I think when we look at these "trims" we need to look to the practitioner not necessarily the "founder".. no pun intended.

My horses are all trimmed in a "ramey" trim. I had an excellent farrier come out and work with me to help me do it myself. He still comes out to be sure they are on track.

think when we look at these "trims" we need to look to the practitioner not necessarily the "founder".. no pun intended.

I agree!

It was the KC trim that was done when Mayo went lame and people at the farm were quite worried by the state of his feet so I changed him back to Strasser but maybe I just needed to leave them a bit longer to see what happened??

Whilst Strasser is a bit of a dirty word in the UK thanks to all that's gone on I know that there are some practitioners out there who can, and do, provide a good trim and have sound horses on their books.

All trims should leave the horse as comfortable, if not more so, than the horse was prior to the rasp being used. If the trimmer thinks that this may not be the case they have a duty of care to explain this to the horses owner, explain why they think this will happen and ask if you want them to proceed. They should then give you advise as to how to improve your horses comfort in the short-term (no trim should cause a horse to be uncomfortable in the long-term).

If this didn't happen with the KC trimmer that you used, and your horse was sound and happy with the previous trimmer, then go with what works.

newrider.com