PHOTOS ADDED (& links to pro pics) Doing first proper hunter trials tomorrow!

Gattino

Happy Appy
Jul 16, 2012
Ireland
Excited and kind of nervous :biggrin:

We decided to do local hunter trials as last one of the season anywhere near us and just managed to sort transport today :bounce:

Cyrus had a bath in the sun so hope he stays clean over night :giggle:

I am doing singles pre novice, did course walk this evening, course looks amazing but with some challenging fences full up to height.

Pre novice is 60 - 80cm but good few of them are 80cm and for one there is like a table jump built into two tree trunks which is quite a spread :unsure:

Aiming to get around clear and at a nice steady pace and stay in the saddle :giggle:

Wish me luck!

Last edited:
The very best of luck - just get round in one piece that is all that matters. I am sure Cyrus will look after you.:smile:

The very best of luck - just get round in one piece that is all that matters. I am sure Cyrus will look after you.:smile:

Yes that is my main plan :giggle:

Cyrus really is a super boy and has a good pop in him so I am sure he will mind me and be loving it.

Once I do the first couple fences I will be grand and relax :biggrin:

My RI is taking him on a second round later in the juniors to lead my friend's 7 yo daughter around on her pony so he is definitely trusted to do his job well :bounce:

Cyrus was so good total star :biggrin: he did refuse fence 1 as was very near start and he was a little nappy but then was good
And jumped it. Was quite a technical and some big jumps for pre novice Cyrus took on the big ones no problem but had a refusal
at a technical one.

I also came off before some steps as he put in a stop and drop lol I was allowed continue though :biggrin: I was grand only a little bump
to the knee! He did stand rock solid when I fell off and waited perfectly for me to remount! We flew around the rest :bounce:

So proud of him doing out first hunter trials!

My instructor was supposed to give my friends 7yo a lead on Cyrus but then asked me too so I gave her lead around and we just did jumps that were ok for her and her pony was great fun and me and her daughter really enjoyed our round :biggrin: she's a brilliant little rider and we communicated great as a pair and Cyrus and her pony were so good!

Brilliant day :bounce: I'll sleep well tonight!

Some of my friends took pics and there was a pro photographer so as soon as friends send some to me and look at pro ones and may buy a couple, shall put some up :biggrin:

Well done to you and Cyrus...and extra well done for giving the lead to the other pony too! I bet you are on a high now?:biggrin:

Thanks everyone was great fun!

So glad I did it was kind of nervous before but once was in the saddle felt ok again :giggle:

Me and Cyrus at fence 6 I think, course was quite long and spread out so hard for people to follow and take loads of photos :giggle:

IMG_2180.JPG

Some photos from when was leading my friend's daughter on course

IMG_2181.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

Cyrus having a well deserved munch and rest after all his hard work

IMG_2186.JPG

Pics of some fences from course walk

The steps (where I came off :giggle: I landed on grass though so I was fine)

IMG_2174.JPG

The table jump which had worried me but spotty boy flew over it :giggle:

IMG_2141%2520%25282%2529.jpg

What's a hunter trial as oppose to xc, is it still timed?

Yes it is still timed, so out of whoever is clear, then 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc go to fastest times. If people had penalties could still place if not many clears if they were faster than other riders who had same penalties.

Course is kind of like just the xc phase of eventing basically but they usually have lower levels like pre novice and its non affiliated usually I think.

Over here they are usually before the hunting season starts and then as it is ending/just over, so usually October and March/April.

Hope your not too sore. What a clever pony horse. I wouldn't be brave enough to tackle those jumps. Big hats off to you

Hope your not too sore. What a clever pony horse. I wouldn't be brave enough to tackle those jumps. Big hats off to you

I'm grand, just really tired today :giggle: Aw thanks he really is a clever pony horse, he was fab, hoping to organise to go xc schooling with friend and RI soon to work on technique a bit soon which will be fun :biggrin:

He is a good boy! And you are very brave!

^^^^ This with knobs on! I would have :poop: myself. Well done.

Thank you, he has done wonders for my confidence and was so good in warm up and waiting to go was nice and settled even though lots going on :wub:

newrider.com