Photos Of Adults On Ponies....Re-visited!

Sorry, meant to say I am 12 stone on a good day :giggle:

She's been advertised as western trained but is a trail riding type horse and was backed professionally as a western horse. Her current owner doesn't specifically 'do' western with her though. I used to ride exclusively western 10+ years ago so it will be interesting to see if she (or I!) can remember anything.

She's been in the same home for 7 years. Looking forward to seeing her tomorrow and viewing my first pony as a potential new 'horse'! :)

she looks lovely and kind :) (and agree with popfurball - a leeeetle bit on the large side).

she should carry you no probs :) my 12.3h exmoor carries 12st friend without any bother, so this pony should be more than suitable :)

x

Thanks everyone :)

She's very large. (is it wrong I'm thinking of the before and after pictures?) My two oldies were lamanitics in their previous homes but all our horses are barefoot and carefully managed and *touch wood* never had a sniff of a problem.

(and notpoodle I LOVED my SS and posted about it at the time but wasn't sure if you saw. I drink my morning coffee out of my Hero mug everyday! :D)

oooh I spotted this one for sale too. She sounds lovely. Good luck :)

EDIT: Wow, this is longer than I expected!!

Sounds lovely...seems to be a bucker who got me off! Though I decided to bail after she bucked and she spun round quickly and got me off so was half bail, half fall.

I'm fine, and actually glad it happened. Should have read the warning signs though. He wouldn't ride her first for me and she was a coiled spring as soon as I got on her. I asked her to walk on, she rushed forward and bucked.

She seemed very scared and unsure. I'm sure she'll be someone's horse but she needs work and I would say her back looked at as she certainly wasn't being malicious and was pretty upset. I felt incredibly sad leaving her there :(

On the plus side, it's shown me I can ride a pony as I wasn't too big for her at all.

So after leaving there we remembered another Highland we'd seen advertised ages ago, but thought it must have gone by now. Rang, and he had been sold but it had fallen though so as of this weekend he was back up for sale again.

He's a 14.1hh grey highland gelding, 20 years old as used in a trekking centre and as a stalking pony to bring shot deer off the hills. Brodies_Girl was happy to take me to have a look and told me she felt positive about him (after a long chat with his owner).

We got there and it was howling a gale! Never felt wind like it, and he was in the stables. I spent some time on the ground with him while she chatted, I groomed him, tacked him up and took him into the school. His neck went up and his ears went forward and he looked quite chuffed to be doing something which was good as I worried he would be too laid back after seeing him in the stable! Her 10 year old daughter jumped on and rode him round very happily and also dropped her reins and rode him with no hands :giggle:

I jumped on and instantly felt safe. He was very light in the mouth and responsive to my seat (but still kick along) and actually offered me an outline a few times on very little contact. His voice commands were super too and he always had one ear on me.

The only BUT is because he's riding school/trekking centre he plays follow the leader....literally that's all he knows but he seems very willing to listen to his rider but is just unsure of not following whoever is in front. (I think most know the riding school type, he's just more responsive and not a dead to the leg) I think he thinks he's being naughty by not following.

His owner said he's a huge people horse and needs to go to a home where he is going to have a proper bond with someone as he's a 'loves cuddles and kisses' type and will follow a person anywhere. This will be very hard for me as I haven't allowed myself to bond with a horse properly since my 'forever horse' died suddenly and very unexpectedly in 2007. I have a constant fear that if I love a horse again I'll lose it. However Brodies_Girl thinks it will be good for me to have a horse who looks to bond with it's rider and I tend to agree. :)

So I am currently 'going away and thinking about it' and sat biting my nails on my sofa :giggle:

Sounds good to me Prae - you write very positively about the second horse - sorry you fell off, but glad you got out of that situation unscathed. Hopefully someone interested in a project will help that poor pony.

Sounds good to me Pre - you write very positively about the second horse - sorry you fell off, but glad you got out of that situation unscathed. Hopefully someone interested in a project will help that poor pony.

Yes I would encourage any confident, experienced rider in the Highlands who's looking for a horse to go and look at her. Her eyes were very sad and unsure and if I had been that confident person I would have taken her. Not a bad bone in her and I have a strong feeling she needs her back looked at.

It was actually my first fall since the fall where I broke my back and paralysed myself temporarily from the waist down and my first reaction was to jump up and make she the mare was ok. It wasn't until I got back to the car I went 'OH! I came off!' It's done me a lot of good and thankfully Brodies_Girl was there for moral support!

I have pictures from both horses today, sadly no ridden pictures of Nordi the 20 year old Highland as my phone died.

post the pics, post the pics!!! :D

Hmmmm ok :D

Here's the mare:

photo.jpg

And Nordi, the 20 year old 14.1hh Highland gelding in his winter woolies. He's much more svelte now :giggle:

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Hope no one minds me posting in here on my pony viewing! I promise to contribute proper pony riding pics! Whether it's or Nordi on my 11.3hh mare ;)

Last edited:
That poor little mare, what a sad face. Very well done you for taking what she threw at you, though. Shame on the owner!

I love the sound of Nordi. My only hesitation would be his age, as you have already lost a horse you loved....? I suppose it's inevitable though and at least you know where you are.

Good luck whatever you decide.

aww sorry you fell off the mare. I hope she gets a new home soon but I dont think she will at that price.
The older Highland sounds a good sort. I would check he is happy going out on his own if you plan to do that. Good luck and keep the pics going :)

so sorry to hear you got bucked off! that wasn't supposed to happen :frown: glad you're ok!

nordi sounds lovely but 20 is quite old ... insurance could cost you £50 per month and above :frown: could you ask to take him out alone a few times to see how he'd cope out of his comfort zone?

aww sorry you fell off the mare. I hope she gets a new home soon but I dont think she will at that price.
The older Highland sounds a good sort. I would check he is happy going out on his own if you plan to do that. Good luck and keep the pics going :)

I know, it's very sad and she is over priced :(

I don't ever plan to hack alone, so don't mind too much but it's something that we would have to work on as a 'just in case' option.

My main concern about him being 20 was how willing he was, but he seemed quite full of life with his ears forward when he saw the school. My 24 year old mare is retiring because she hates to be ridden. She grudges everything and puts her ears back when she sees tack. At her age, what's the point in continuing?

so sorry to hear you got bucked off! that wasn't supposed to happen :frown: glad you're ok!

nordi sounds lovely but 20 is quite old ... insurance could cost you £50 per month and above :frown: could you ask to take him out alone a few times to see how he'd cope out of his comfort zone?

I know, insurance is crazy for the oldies! I pay £50 for my Clydie mare atm and have a retired welshie too. It's mad that anything over 15 is a veteran.

I'm aiming to go up and see him again on Thursday *hopefully*

This is Ted with my friend

Hi i am new and this is my boy Ted with my friend who excersises him.

Attachments

• P1010471.jpg
    P1010471.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 70
newrider.com