Physical Skill Required?

wanabe

Apr 8, 2005
Pine Forests of Southeast Texas
I'm *thinking* about taking lessons. Does riding require much athletic ability? I've tried, and failed, at golf -- what they don't tell you going in is that 3 out of 4 people will never be able to become good enough at golf to enjoy it. :(

skill

for riding u have to be somewhat physically skilled to be able to move with the horse or post the trot so id say yes u have to be in good shape to ride correctly

Hi

Think it helps if you are physically fit, but just as important, if not more important is balance and coordination. Although most of us will never be great we all enjoy it :D I think that you have to be willing to learn and don't mind too much being told what to do in lessons. It could take 50 years to be considered good at riding, but it's a sport that you never stop leaning, but once you start and it clicks, your obsessed for life :D You could always give one lesson ago and if you don't like it at least you can say you tried it!

I don't think that you have to physically fit, and even if you don't have much natural balance you can still enjoy it. I know someone who's been riding for ar least 10 years and has barely any balance whatsoever and she still loves riding, it just takes gettin used too!!
Go for it and just see if you enjoy it!

One of my friends is rather uncoordinated and not that fit but she doesn't have any problem riding. And she is infact quite a very good rider considering how long she's been riding.

I think most people are capable of learning to ride - just takes some longer than others to improve :)

wanabe,

I was 28 when I had my first 'real' riding lesson. Eventhough I am tall and relatively slender I always was horrible at most sports... Basketball- forget it, Tennis- blah (reaction time of a sloth, coordination of a boulder, etc.).
So being in Texas I started taking Western lessons figuring I would be way too uncoordinated to deal with the balance issues in an English saddle.
But about 10 lessons into my riding career my instructor switched me to English. It was a struggle at times. But I love it. And I got better at it.
The skills you learn while riding also carry over into other sports.
When I started Yoga I excelled at it right away (lots of balance required for certain poses).
I no longer see myself as athletically challenged. It has really transformed how I view myself and what I can do.

Wanabe, I say go for it. It will be challenging, fun, frustrating, exhilerating, and addictive. :)

Last edited:
I'm a wobbly tub of lard but I'm starting to ride again! :D Being unfit and or fat (I'm both!) does, in my experience, hinder your balance to start with, but with time you'll get better, honestly.

In my opinion, to really enjoy riding you don't have to be Pippa Funnell. I want to be able to walk, trot, canter and, if feeling mad, gallop, and stay on while I do so. When I achieve that, anything else is a bonus. :D

Thanks for all the replies. I'm fit (and strong). By phsical ability I mean reaction time, coordination, and timing. I suspect that the first of those more than anything else is what allows some people to stay on a horse in a bad situation -- they begin to make corrections sooner. Unfortunately, I have terrible reaction time. I'll probably go ahead and take some lessons although I have some more questions that I'm going to pester you with, first. :D

Go for it :) I've been riding for 10 years and most people I know who are at the same level of riding as me have only been riding 2/3 years. That part is a bit annoying but it doesn't stop me enjoying riding.

The only thing I can think of about having terrible reaction time is how well you will cope if you fall. I've never fallen and hurt myself badly, I seem to have pretty good self-preservation. :p Two other people I know, almost everytime they fall they end up in hospital because they just don't react quickly enough.
I think most people are a long time riding before they fall off though!

You'll never know unless you try it, what have you got to lose? :)

So long as you make it clear to an instructor that your reaction times are not what you'd like them to be thay can put you on a horse whose reaction times are slow too, then you'll be fine!

Best of luck with it.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing but I've been wondering if I won't be able to learn the "sitting trot" because I won't be able to move my pelvis quickly enough to match the horse. IIRC, a trot is at a pretty quick tempo.

Wanabe, there is no reason why you can't spend a few lessons just in walk until you get some confidence. While walking you can practice your position and balance and turns and things like that. As for sitting trot, mostly you just start with a few strides of sitting at a time until you get used to it.

If you are fit and strong, you shouldn't have any problem- as Wally said, if you are on a beginner's horse, the horse will take care of you and you won't be going fast enough to have to worry about reaction time.

I was actually AFRAID of the horse when I first started 2 years ago. When I think about her now, i realize that she was a very old, very gentle horse who was the sweetest thing ever and never put a hoof wrong.

Hurry up and start lessons so we can hear all about it.

As for your questions in your other posts, try getting a basic riding book out of the library or at a bookstore and it will tell you a lot or look at the articles on the New Rider home page. ( I'm not saying not to ask them on here though!)

Good luck!

Last edited:
My roommate in lschool told me she took up riding as a child because it was the only sport she wasn't just godawful at. :rolleyes: And she became a very good rider and showed her horse successfully in hunter/jumper competitions until she sadly had to sell him.

I would think a fast reaction time might actually get you into more trouble than not. We more *cough* reflective types are less likely to panic and thereby make things worse - and often I've found the horse will mistake torpor for calm on my part and figure things must not be so bad after all. :eek: :D

I hope that works out that way, Peace.

Actually, I'm not a complete novice. Most Texans, by the time they reach adulthood, have ridden a few times on trailrides. I've even trotted, cantered, and galloped (and even was dragged off of a galloping horse once (ah, youth!). I just don't really know what I'm doing and would like to.

Yes, I'll check out those articles. :)

Actually, I had much the same thoughts as Peace when I read your question about reaction time.

Quick reaction time is a funny thing with riding, as it can either work for or against you. While it is true that the best riders are able to make small adjustments quickly and immediately; often, with beginners in particular, quick reactivity can be more a hindrance than a help.

horse riding is one of those sports that you dont have to be very good at to enjoy it. however, unless you are morbidly obese, i cant see that you will have any trouble riding, or even rising trot on a slow, long striding horse :)

I think as a learner the best attribute to have is calmness and confidence. The horse pick up signals from you and will get scared if you are scared.

My children are learning to ride on thier own ponies and you can see such a difference between them and some of their friends. My kids know the ponies and are comfortable handling them, they cuddle them and groom them confidently. When they ride they kind of expect the ponies to be good. However when you put a new friend on one of the ponies they can tend to be a bit loud and jumpy. The pony starts acting out a bit and the child gets more worried. I try to get them handling the ponies in the field before they ride.

If you already have some experience round horses then this helps loads. Just relax and enjoy the ride and you will soon pick up the skills.

newrider.com