Picking up back feet

Elcon_Poet

Jul 4, 2008
How do I pick up a youngsters back hooves without getting booted, I want to pick the hind legs up but they sometimes flick their legs, I'm sure if I didn't move away in time they would manage to kick me.

Take a 12ft thick rope. Feed it around the back of the pastern and pull forward. As soon as the horse lifts its leg release and praise. If they waggle it around keep hold (they cannot kick you while you are stood beside the belly) When they stop waggling the leg allow it to the ground.

A few goes at this is usually enough to progress to normal picking up of feet.

Another good thing about this method is that you should be more relaxed as you know you cannot get kicked.

Ask your OH! If not then persist. I've had to face this prob, it has taken time to trust her. The threat is usially empty..., it's just their uncertainty.
Stay close, don't lift too high but remain persistant & regular. :)

I am having the same issue with my little chap. Bought him as a 4 month old last september and he was vey wild. Now coming on nicely, front feet pick out fine although, like you, I am a bit cautious of picking up his back legs.
One piece of advice I was give, was get him used to touched on his legs but not necessarily try and lift them until he is totally happy with you touching him.I find just brushing him with a light body brush, starting with the bum and working down gradually until its not an issue. If he doesnt like one part of it then regress to the part of the body he is happy about. All pressure and release. Then I would persist to trying to pick his legs up. I have used this approach with Jack and although progress is a little slow, its all in the right direction and (touch wood) I havent been kicked.

I will let you know how I get on. Think as long as things are not rushed with youngsters and they have the time to understand and accept what you are asking of them then its alot easier in the long run to having a happy baby.

Hope this helps

Sarah

My baby had an issue with back legs when I got him as a 6mth old. He is now 2yrs and we have very good days and some not so good but a lot better than when I first got him.

I try not to hang onto his leg for too long, especially on the back leg he kicks out worst with. I also try ansd hold it quite low because some youngsters find it kinda hard to balance if their leg is held too high and for too long.

I have had my best results when I take my time with his front feet and when I start the hind end I massage and rub his hindquarters and then work my way down his leg, if he flicks leg up in anticipation or tries to kick, I go back to the top of his hindquarters and slowly rub my way back down to his fetlock again.....and then ask for pick up. I also hold his leg just below the hock with both hands which makes it easier to control if they do go to kick you, and if he doesn't kick I immediately balance his hoof on my bent knee and pick hoof out.....then repeat on other side.

I wasn't sure at the beginning if he was just being difficult and a wee sod OR if he was just finding the whole thing very uncomfortable and physically difficult. In my case I think it is very much mainly the latter with a little teeny bit of being naughty occasionally.

Good luck

Take a 12ft thick rope. Feed it around the back of the pastern and pull forward. As soon as the horse lifts its leg release and praise. If they waggle it around keep hold (they cannot kick you while you are stood beside the belly) When they stop waggling the leg allow it to the ground.

A few goes at this is usually enough to progress to normal picking up of feet.

Another good thing about this method is that you should be more relaxed as you know you cannot get kicked.

I agree!!!! I have used this method on foals & those that should know better, works every time. I normally stand more towards the head though, and just gently pull back on the rope to lift the leg. It will not gt stuck, if the horse panicks just let the rope fall to the floor!

My mum starts of using a brush on a stick to get youngsters used to having their back legs touched,you don`t have to back of and worry about getting booted, she then uses a walking stick,you hook it round the fetlock and gently pull saying UP at the same time,she normally does this with pony against a wall so that they can lean into it and do not loose their balance, they can pull and thrash a bit but you do not have to let go for fear f being kicked.

newrider.com