Picking up back feet

Rips

May 23, 2004
Eire
Only yesterday I wondered why Mocha is so quirky about picking up her back feet...

Now Mocha's had several physio/osteo visits and vettings and none have ever mentioned anything about this - she has always lifted her feet like this.
They couldn't have missed it because its exactly like shes going to kick you but she never would. She is good with her feet and picks them up immediately and never leans on you, you can also leave her feet rested with the toe on the ground and she won't pull away (I occasionally do this to pick them out if the muck is wedged in there) she waits til you place them down.

She has had problems with her hips in the past though and has ongoing physio to check them, infact she is almost due abother checkup.

Is it really a pain thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe its a learned thing - usually you just pull her feathers upwards lightly and she snatches them away up and slightly inwards but afer you take the hoof in your hand again she's just normal. Its a bit bold I guess but never bothered me that much to get her to stop.

I hate getting paranoid about stuff like this - shes just back in work and I don't know what to get 'done' first :eek: now I have swamp fever to worry about too!

Maybe it's a hips / back or even memory thing - our old cob has always done this, but is otherwise keen, cooperative & v. active. He doesn't do it every time.

Just a thought,but have you tried by taking hold of her leg,or just tapping her leg,rather than holding her feathers.My friends horse is very sensitive to having feathers pulled :confused:

Chevy does the same thing and always has. When I ask him to pick up his hind foot (by either saying foot or tapping his leg) he'll yank it up and in, almost against his other leg, then immediately drop it and relax in my hand. I dont yank it up, and he's usually half asleep when I'm picking out his feet anyways and doesn't even bother waking up.

I figure it's because he's stiff from standing around then pulling up his hoof. I asked the vet about it, and she didn't think it was anything other than simply a quirk.

Hmm, never thought about her little feathers! I'll try picking up her actual foot but you only have to really touch her feet and she'll pick 'em up.

Maybe it is just a quirk though!

newrider.com