Picking up feet

Mavi

Aug 25, 1999
Spain
Visit site
No matter what I do my mare always goes very nervous when see sees me with the metal object to clean her feet (sorry I do not not the name for it in English). I think that i must hurt her as she goes very nervous when i get it in my hands. With my bare hands she is fine and gives me all feet with no problems or fears as soon as I ask for them, but as soon as she sees me with the metal instrument, she gets very nervous, even tryed to kick me last friday!! My hubby does help me and she is fine with him. Is it possible that I hurt her? I do not apply much pressure, just enough to get them clean. I have tried to get her to relax and she lets me do the first front one but none of the others! Need some advice or will have to get my hubby to do them for me all the time.....

Mavi

One of the horses at the barn doesn't like the metal hoof picks; we have to use a plastic one. I guess maybe the metal pick may hurt your horse if it has sensitive feet. I'm not really sure, but I thought I would suggest trying a plastic hoof pick.

Good luck with your horse. :)

this is probably "cheating" a bit (i'm sure there are more exhaustive ways of getting your horse to be entirely unafraid of the hoof pick), but... perhaps you might try one of the picks with the plastic-bristle brush on it?

it seemed to work wonders for the horses at the barn where i used to take lessons; i used them consistently with no problems, particulary on horses with sensitive feet, or horses that were just plain obstinate about having their feet picked out. they're good for general dirt, shavings, and other stuff, but might not work out so well with caked-on mud, i suspect.

anyway, see of you can find one and give it a try! :)

-cyn

hey there, Mavi.

i came across this link while browsing through EquestrianMall looking for some other things; thought you might want to check out a picture of the kind of hoof pick i was speaking about. it also has a plastic handle (the only metal piece on it is the actual pick itself), so your mare might not recognize it like she does the all-metal variety! :)

http://www.equestrianmall.com/cgibin/ezshopper/loadpage.cgi?25251+grooming_department/hoofpick.html#117927

(long URL, i know)

good luck...

-cyn

newrider.com