PICS new pony, not exactly what we were expecting.

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
We, as some of you know got a new colt a while ago. Didn't exactly buy him but did get one ;) Anyway once he arrived (silly me said he could come here pretty much unseen) i was in for a little bit of a surprise.

This is some of the photo's i was sent of him prior to him coming.

leo4.jpg

leo7.jpg

and this is him THREE WEEKS after we got him. I didn't take pics before as he looked too much in a sorry state. he still has a lot of way to go and needs worming urgently (will be done today) he has been out on grass 24/7 and put on so much weight.

He is very friendly and cheeky though and although can be strong is doing well. Even if he is very clumbsy!

EBAY687.jpg

EBAY688.jpg

EBAY686.jpg

EBAY689-1.jpg

also he paws the ground a lot and seems to enjoy 'rooting for bugs'??!

EBAY673.jpg

and a few more

EBAY667-1.jpg

just because he thinks everythings a laugh

EBAY691.jpg

One other thing i've noticed is he has such a small mouth?! and a really movable woffly nose.

I don't think he will be staying here forever, just until he is in full condition and well handled and probably gelded. He is 13hh already and is only 14 months old (so i was told anyway) i tend to stick to ponies so he will mature a bit big for me.

Anyone got any ideas how big he will mature to? i will open another thread on 'guess his breed' lol. hint, the palomino in the first pics is his dam.

He's a cute little guy, he must have looked very skinny when you first got him but he is well on the way to being in good condition now. My guess for what height he'll make is maybe 14.2hh? how big is his dam?

He's a cute little guy, he must have looked very skinny when you first got him but he is well on the way to being in good condition now. My guess for what height he'll make is maybe 14.2hh? how big is his dam?

his dam is 12.2hh. i think he will make about 14hh too though. i think his last owners thought they did the best for him and they thought he wasn't that skinny as he has a big 'worm' belly even though his ribs all show!

will be nice to get really good pics of him in full health though

Are you feeding him mix as well to help with growth and weight gain?

yes he is on stud mix with some garlic powder at the moment. not really sure what i should be feeding him, he only gets a two handfuls of mix once a day. my other yearling doesn't need feeding being a well padded welshie. any suggestions? I don't want to tax his stomach too much. he is out 24/7 at the moment in a 2 acre field but will be starting to come in at night soon when i have my stable doors fixed.

I use Alfa A Oil for my youngster (she's a warmblood) and is doing very well on that. She was having a stud mix too as she came to me a little underweight but became very exciteable so now she's just having the Alfa A and fair bit of hay.

I'm glad you're going to spend the time to get him looking and behaving well, he does seem a nice sort and he deserves a good start in life.

newrider.com