plans for 2018

Super nova

Nov 6, 2017
Kent
For those of you who are indoors dog sitting for the impending fireworks, what plans do you have horse wise for 2018?.

I seem to have lost even more confidence. Suffered a mental break down last year and landed up in a psychiatric ward. So as you can imagine its been tuff pulling myself back in all sorts of ways. I still ride at least one a week. My husband has recently started coming out with me on his bike as a foot soldier which is a great help. My plans for this NY are to get more confident :)

Reactions: Orenoko and MrA
For those of you who are indoors dog sitting for the impending fireworks, what plans do you have horse wise for 2018?.

I seem to have lost even more confidence. Suffered a mental break down last year and landed up in a psychiatric ward. So as you can imagine its been tuff pulling myself back in all sorts of ways. I still ride at least one a week. My husband has recently started coming out with me on his bike as a foot soldier which is a great help. My plans for this NY are to get more confident :)

Sorry to read about your mental breakdown, but glad you are on the mend. Little steps will get you back on the confidence road and it's great that your husband will help out.

I have no plans for 2018, it will be what it is and I'll roll with whatever life throws at me as an when it does, Ive learned that often the best laid plans have a habit of going tits up, so I'm just happy to ride when I can and enjoy a horsey snuggle when I can't ride.
Happy New Year to everyone - lets hope 2018 is a good one.

I am with @Kite_Rider on this one..no plans just going with the flow. Last year wasn't a great year for Marley and me, then he was diagnosed with cushings which explained all the problems we were having. So he is on the meds and a lot better so I am just going to take things as they come ;)
Happy New Year :D

I am hoping to achieve a life-long dream of affiliating BE and taking part in some 90cm ODEs. My horse can do it..... can I?!

This is a dream I abandoned long ago when I developed an almost phobic fear of jumping. It was resurrected a couple of years ago when I finally decided to tackle my jumping demons - just cross poles to start with, then 45cm courses. I was almost sick before the first course I did at a fun clear round comp at my yard. There were all these little kids plus a green and shaking me!

But BE90 now feels within reach and I have to pinch myself.

I am with @Kite_Rider on this one..no plans just going with the flow. Last year wasn't a great year for Marley and me, then he was diagnosed with cushings which explained all the problems we were having. So he is on the meds and a lot better so I am just going to take things as they come ;)

I was in exactly the same position 2 years ago and so that's what I do now. I don't worry about achievements any more, I just want to enjoy my horse and appreciate the time we have together. Raf is well and you wouldn't know he had Cushings but there's no way of knowing how quickly the disease will progress so I try not to worry about the future and just enjoy the moment.

I think your plans are fab @Super nova - good luck and I hope things continue to improve for you. Happy 2018!

I was in exactly the same position 2 years ago and so that's what I do now. I don't worry about achievements any more, I just want to enjoy my horse and appreciate the time we have together. Raf is well and you wouldn't know he had Cushings but there's no way of knowing how quickly the disease will progress so I try not to worry about the future and just enjoy the moment.

I think your plans are fab @Super nova - good luck and I hope things continue to improve for you. Happy 2018!

My pony also has cushings but is doing really well on Pracend atm

I have loads of plans for 2018! I want to get my petplan dressage scores (3 x 62%) one of which I already have, I want to qualify for the midway champs (3 x 65% scores!!), and I want to qualify and attend the draught horse dressage championships.

I want to build on my xc experience and take my horse round several mini (45cm ish) courses in style - which means cantering the jumps and pretending I am going round a BE90 course.

I want to go to camp at least once.

I want to push myself to do more clear round jumping. Not bothering about jumping high, going round a 60cm course well will do me proud.

Above all, I just want to enjoy my lovely horse.

Reactions: Super nova
Horse wise just a repeat of 2017 will suit me fine. Ale fab and settled at his wonderful field, happy and well. I get to watch the sun rise and set with him in peace.

And with my share lots of lovely hacking, feeling as confident as I do right now. And some fun local shows too. And I would like to start having lessons again if funds allow. And perhaps give interdressage another go.

Would love to go to the beach but my best hacking companion is out of action for a long time and I don't think it would be fair to go without her after all she has done for my confidence. So that will something to look forward to for a bit longer

I haven't given it any thought to be honest.

Last year I did a mini holiday with her that meant she hacked somewhere new with a horse she only met the day before. That stretched her confidence a bit too much and she did a runner up the main road and knocked mine into the bargain! Apart from that it was great. :D

Watching the sunrise through two ears. Requires effort on my part to a) be out of bed and b) be somewhere I can get a nice photo.

Eta, just looked back if I had summer goals. I did want to work on trotting her downhill because she lacked confidence and would only be willing if the RI stood in the middle of the field. Hopefully the work I did last year flows into this one.

Last edited:
Apparently this year is all about adulting ...!

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:
Horse wise I don't expect to be doing much unfortunately. I'd love to bring Annie to the UK but between studying for my qualification, managing my career change / finding my first job, and learning to drive I don't think I'll have the time or money to do it for at least the first half of the year.

Last edited:
I think I would like to get to a point where I feel as confident on our new mare as I did on our old one! That’s not going to be easy, but we will get there. I really need to perfect my awful canter transitions and also re-learn jumping some low poles, just so we can pop a log when we’re out.
I have just started going out again with my friend and would really like to ride on the beach. It’s only a few miles away so definitely feasible.

I just hope to get a bit more confident, trying to decide if I want to learn to jump but am mostly just a happy hacker!
I'm a happy hacker but you can start with a pole on the floor and have fun with that. I love polework it doesn't have to mean jumping.
I have only ever found one fallen log out riding, most disappointed!

Reactions: Orenoko
I am mostly just a happy hacker!

I have never understood the word 'just' in that phrase! Hacking is terrifying and a true test of horsemanship. If you can cope with the 1001 unexpected hazards on a hack then as far as I am concerned you can ride!

I have never understood the word 'just' in that phrase! Hacking is terrifying and a true test of horsemanship. If you can cope with the 1001 unexpected hazards on a hack then as far as I am concerned you can ride!

I think it's more that I see the amazing things people get up to on here, and also know a few folk who play polo, and I marvel at just what can be achieved between a person and a horse. Of course it's different strokes for different folks and I love hacking out and building confidence with my fab share. I've come across a few people recently where everything is a competition, so perhaps I've overused that particular phrase in trying to get out of conversation with them! :p

Reactions: KP nut
I do get asked often what I do with mine. This can be after said people have just seen me doing something!
To some if you don't compete, hunt, show or breed, hacking is just exercising the horse and nothing special.
We' ve just been out and stopped to chat to the locals and tourists, so from that point of view she's made little kids happy as she stands solid to be stroked.

I do get asked often what I do with mine. This can be after said people have just seen me doing something!
To some if you don't compete, hunt, show or breed, hacking is just exercising the horse and nothing special.
We' ve just been out and stopped to chat to the locals and tourists, so from that point of view she's made little kids happy as she stands solid to be stroked.

That sounds lovely @newforest :) I should add that up until April 2017 I'd never hacked out alone so it was a huge deal for me, but I've never looked back :D

Reactions: newforest
Well I have several, but right now I don't think any will happen unless I get life sorted. Sorry I'm very down just now. Not a good start to the year.
Goal number 1 should be to get over this last few weeks of crap and try living.
I want to do some fun rides, I managed one last year and if I hadn't had my accident it would have been two. So my goal is at least two this year.
I also want to jump the top rail of my polyblocks. There about 84cm so with a rail it will be near 90cm. I did do it a couple of times last year but with horse being forward and not careful I put the height down. Now I've lost my nerve as I haven't really jumped in 3 months. If I can I want to put up all the 8 blocks and have a clear round over all 4 jumps at the top height. That will make my day.
I'm going to have a couple of NH'ship lessons (Xmas present). Which I hope will encourage me to have more.
Would also like to have 1 or 2 Gridwork lessons.
Im going to mark my goals on a calendar.
Plan a lesson for at least once every 2 months, and maybe the other goals for in between.
I have one other horsey goal but I'm not saying anymore than that at present. I just hope I can make it happen.

newrider.com