Please check your tack

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Now I'll admit I don't clean my tack as often as I should, but when I do I usually strip it right down & I pay attention to what I'm doing. Which is just as well because yesterday I found a fairly deep slit in one of my reins quite near the buckle. It seems solid no matter how hard I tug it, but nevertheless a new pair have been ordered - annoying when they're quite expensive Jeffries ones & less than a year old - and an old but sound pair dug out of storage until they arrive. They probably would hold, but knowing it's there I don't trust them. So please be aware that tack does get damaged as well as wear & take a few extra seconds to check it. It could save a nasty accident.

I sat on my lounge floor and cleaned my tack yesterday. I always take everything apart and check stitching, buckles and billet hooks.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Its a very good point, I've had stirrup leathers break on me that were only 2 weeks old (not mine, a friend brought cheap ones) and have had a rein go in the past, not a good experience o_O I had all my girth billets changed a couple of years ago as they were starting to show cracks and I didn't really fancy those going.

That's why I take my tack apart & clean it at least weekly.

Glad you noticed it though! It's worth contacting Jeffries I'd have thought :)

Having reread my post I see I put it was near the buckle, I meant the billet! Not that it makes a big difference, except that keeping my reins short won't help.

I don't think it's a fault in the leather, I'd have noticed it before if it had been there and anyway it looked fairly new because inside the slit was very clean. Wiped over with conditioner I couldn't even see it.

Reactions: orbvalley
My tacks being cleaned by a young whippersnapper taking my Cocaïne to a competition Tuesday pm:cool:. I dont clean my tack far enough but I do check it over as my mare is enough on her own to deal with let alone tack breaking too:eek: Good tip though, many thanks xxx

newrider.com