Please help bit advice needed

jennyec

Oct 15, 2007
Im an adult who rides a pony, a solid 13.3hh newforest mare, she is ridden in a full cheek snaffle, and has always been ridden in one, she has up until now been very good in it, she is however naturally quite head strong, we have recently begun riding out with a pair of ladies on very big geldings, and she gets very very excited (and very very strong!) when hacking with them.

Im off to do cross country/hacking with them in a few weeks and want a bit that is stronger, i was thinking of a hanging snaffle? Would this be ok? If not what would be more suitable?

Jenny

The hanging snaffle will give you more poll pressure. Personally, I don't rate them but that my mare has a dislike for jointed bits. Do you currently use a flash, maybe the combination of both of them will give you that extra control you require. After all, unless you go for a mega strong bit if they run around with their mouths open it doesn't matter what you have in their mouths.

pelhams are good and do what you are asking- you ride off the top rein when she is been good and add the curb if she gets stroppy.

better used with 2 reins and it isnt that hard to get used to (i have hacked out using in a pelham since i was 11 with little hands and i managed so you will!)

kimblewick does similar but only one rein ;)

newrider.com