Please help me not freeze! Warm clothes recommendations wanted! :)

PGStudent

Sep 15, 2008
Midlands
I went hacking today out in the snow, and came back with various bits of me numb and not working any more. (My torso was lovely and toasty thanks to a North Face jacket and three fleeces, everything else was...not so toasty). If I had knackers, they would have been frozen off.

Anyway, please give me your recommendations for warm/windproof/waterproof winter gear. I'm particularly in need of gloves (apparently the two pairs I wore layered today weren't enough), socks, boots, and breeches capable of keeping me warm through the harsh British winter (thank God I don't live somewhere really cold!).

Thanks in advance :D

Muck Co Boot with thermal socks. £60.

Toggi Full on Duck Feather Coat...expensive at £250 but worth every Winter you wear it.

Sealskinz gloves. £25

And Shires Padded Waterproof Trousers (can be ridden in too). £20

Beanie hat over the ears. £2. :p

Just layer up with whatever you've got: the layers trap warm air so the more layers, the warmer you'll be. (Muck co boots are v warm!) I looked like the Michelin man today but I was warm!

buy mountain horse boots with the fur lining - expensive but worth it :D
also where skiing thermals thats what i do lol :p they do keep you warm.
also buy a thick waterproof coat, but put a bodywarmer underneath.
i also wear my body protector to keep me warm :p

and don't forget hand warmers with magic gloves on the top. they are so tasty :p

o yh and 4 pairs of socks! lol bit extreme but seriously 4 pairs, 2 thin pairs and then a thicker pair and then a pair of really thick woolly (i use slipper socks :p) pair :p
also buy some waterproof trousers to keep your legs dry.
and if you don't want to wreck your saddle then buy a seat saver ( a woolly one) they seriously keep your bum warm.

and for your horse, yes your horse, buy a waterproof exercise sheet as in the winter they will have a rug on but you don't want them completely soaked before they go out, and you dont want them standing in the stables for hours on end either, so an exercise sheet will keep them a little dryer and warmer ( a must for clipped horses!!)

Last edited:
good hands fleece gloves, the ones i have are waterproof as well and my hands can even get hot in them on the coldest of days.

a fleece neck warmer

and definatly fleece lined over trousers!

my mudrucker riding boots have'nt let my toes get cold yet

I want one of these from rideaway, the link is unreliable.

code CWJA/ASK - Mountain Horse Alaska Overall cost £166.99

Very expensive but looks warm and toasty :)

Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep them coming! :)

I have umpteen jackets and fleeces (the toggi ones are brilliant - I'm wearing two toggi jumpers as I type...), it's the other bits that are cold.

I'll definitely look into the Mountain horse and Muck co boots. I was planning on getting a pair of the MH Richmond field boots, but I might delay that purchase in favour of warm boots! ;)

Also - any specific glove recommendations? What are hand warmers?

Heated gilet from Barnstormers. Not cheap but it is the BEST winter clothing I've ever bought.
It's also windproof and waterproof.

Trust me - if you have any cash spare this gilet is fab :D!

Musto snug jods are the best thing for keeping warm. You can get them for about £50 ,try looking on ebay. And the sealskinz gloves as mentioned above.
I find that wearing a long riding coat makes such a difference as it covers your legs which keeps the wind away. Use the leg straps inside the coat to prevent flapping. A lot of thigh area is exposed in a short coat and once you get cold legs I think the rest of you goes chilly. Most people have these long coats in the back of the cupboard but only wear them when it is raining.

Suede full chaps are brilliant, keep you warm and dry in winter and cool in summer.Those fleece neck warmers are good too as you can pull it up over your face when the weather is arctic.

Hi,

For keeping warm in winter, for country walking or on horseback, see my pic below for my dress-code! Thick woolly jumper and cardigan under a full length coat, I never get cold!!

Attachments

• longcoat.jpg
    longcoat.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 31
Your post was so funny but know exactly how you feel. Howled at that! :D

I wear thermals. Full length trousers under my jods, long sleeve top too. Both have to be the layer closest to your skin and don't tumble dry them. M&S have some black ones so not totally granny-like but hey if u r warm who cares!

Thermals & then lots of layers - think onion! :)

I fully agree with rookierider, layering is best!

My winter 'uniform' is:
Upper body
1. Thermal vest
2. Long sleeved sweatshirt
3. Thick handknitted heavy jumper
4. Thick handknitted heavy cardigan
5. Another thick handknitted heavy cardigan

Lower:
1. Thermal Long johns
2. Jods
3. Another pair of jods
4. Waterproof trousers

Then fully lined long riding coat over the top of it all (see my pic above)
Thick waterproof and padded gloves to keep your hands warm!

Am a big one for layering.

My main areas to ensure warmth are my neck and chest, and my hands and feet. Once these are cold, my whole body is cold...

I tend not to bother with all the high tech clothing, but just old fashioned layering.
A vest, a t-shirt, a long sleeved top (not fleecey), then I have my body warmer (thick padding) when riding, with a scarf, riding gloves, jods (don't feel comfortable with long johns underneath), two pairs of socks, boots and chaps when riding.
When in the stables, I change body warmer to a jacket, with thick fleece lining and tough outer, scarf, fingerless long armed gloves, wellies with welly warmers.

Snug as a bug in a rug...!

Last week I was wearing two pairs of jodphurs, my nice new ones and then my older ones over the top, although a nice pair of thick wooley tights are good too.

Primark have wooly thermal socks, two pairs for £2. Nice and toasty.

Glove wise I have two pairs with me, a fleecey thermal pair for yard work and another grippy pair for riding, that way if one pair get wet I've always got a spare.

I'm another fan of layering, I tend to ride after work so I have a hoodie and a zip up top over my work top, then I wear my Joules 5in1 coat over that.

Ooh and a nice fleecy scarf is great in winter, you can pull it up right round your ears!

I HATE being cold! My extremities get cold the most. This was my outfit the other day and I was nice and toasty :)

Upper:
Short sleeved thermal vest (M&S)
long sleeve t-shirt (thin)
Poloshirt
MH 3 in 1 coat (fleece and 3/4 waterproof coat on top)

Lower:
Thermal long johns (M&S)
Cotton jods (dublin)
Knee length socks
Muck Boot Co Tynes with the insoles back in

Thinsulate fleece hat
MH winter gloves (waterproof and breathable and I can still feel the reins in them).
http://www.saddlery.biz/pp/Horse_Ri...s/Mountain_Horse_Ladies_Endurance_Gloves.html

Lovely! :D

However I am going to invest in a pair of ribbed tights as well as I find my thighs get cold when riding. Boots do a good thick pair for £6.

Just wanted to suggest snow boarding/ski trousers

I got a pair last year from TKmax only 20/25 squid they are designed to be waterproof, windproof and with stand freezing temps.... all that and you can still move in them!

newrider.com