Please help with mare problems

moli

Oct 23, 2000
Fife
Visit site
I am hoping that someone will be able to give me some advice or suggestions on what to do with my mare. She is a 16hh warmblood X and I have owned her since last April.

She was on box rest at the end of last year due to a hock injury but after vet declared her sound she has been back in work for the last couple of months. She is stabled at night and gets around 8 hours turnout a day.

I have had her out on hacks and she has been fine but everytime I take her into the arena she is extremely nappy and will not work on the right rein. She evades in every way she can and starts to froth at mouth and gets herself all worked up. I have tried smacking her, shouting at her but she gets worse. I have had someone else riding her and she a little better but not brilliant. I think it's because they are more confident and have longer legs!!

I took her off hard feed 2 weeks ago and she is not as fizzy but she is still nappy. I was riding her this morning and she was awful. I tried to do some poles with her but she still would not go round on right rein. I then got into a fight with her and I gave up as I kept thinking she was going to go up. I know getting off doesn't help but I was at wit's end. She had her teeth done a few months ago, back and tack both been checked. I am sorry about the length of this but I don't know where to go now. She was so good when I first got her. Could it be a winter hormonal thing? I have always had geldings. Thanks for reading.

Hiya!

Strange you posted.. My mare when I first tried her out was great.. the when she came to my yard she went really awful in the school.. she would like attempt bucking, rearing ect. she jst wasnt happy and her left rein was a night mare!!

We thought that it was maybe me.. so I got someone alse to have a sit on her and she was 10000 x worse. Anyhow she was perfect on the roads ect. we got a vet out and he said there was nothign wrong she jst didnt like the school.

I one day was at my wits ends too, so I called out my intructor and she came out and we had a 2 hrs lesson jst doing different things ect. Keeping her mind occupied and she was FANTASTIC. Also we bought her as a jumper and previous owners had jst got one her and jmped jmped jmped didnt really bother much with schooling ect. So that could have lead to some of the problems as when i jumped her she was fine.. she jst basically didnt like being told what to do.

All well now.. she is really fantastic and I mena never seen anything like it and iv been riding for 14 wee bit mroe yrs.

So if you have had her backed ect checked.. then id jst get an intructor that you like (as 2 hrs is V long time being told what to do) and jst keep persaverering(sp).

If hse ever does anything right praise no matter how small it is.. and if she does summin rong use yr voice let her know that it is worng and carry on with it.

Best of luck!
Tam x

Having mares is so different than geldings. My mare loved to go out on long hacks but some days she did not want to work in an arena. She would spooke at things she had jumped over before and have a hissy fits. I tried to ignore it and keep her mind busy. I found with my mare that schooling in arena outside made a huge difference. (weather permitting of course) I am not completely sure why she had these "mare days" as I would call them. I had everything checked out on her aswell and nothing was wrong. So I just learned to adapt/ignore her moods. My mare never like to do the same thing all the time like schooling in the arena so I tried to balance hacking and schooling and to school while I was hacking out.
As for the smacking and yelling for me it never worked it usually made things worse. My horse was so in tune to my body and how I was feeling that if I was nervous/scared or whatever she would pick up on it and act out aswell.
I just tried to relax and I talked to her and it seemed to help.

Hopefully this helps you a bit.

is the right side her hurt side???????????

if it is you have to take the time to reteach her that it dosent hurt anymore she sounds like a very sensitive mare and has not forgiven or forgotten she hurt.

get some proffessionals to give you some ideas preferably without it including getting stuck into her as she is a mare that wont forgive, someone should be able to give you some schooling ideas to trick her into working properly.

Liesl

newrider.com