Please pray for Millie

She ate a little last night but not enough, she was due a dental on Tuesday as her teeth are bad, this isn't helping her much as it hurts for her to eat. I fed her small pieces of parma ham, fillet of pork, very soft things, she wouldn't eat her wet food even though it is soft and easy but had two little meals.

Wouldn't eat in the morning, was a bit brighter walking and produced a poo for the first time in a couple of days as she has been totally empty. Had a woof at the hens.

She is now at vets. She has lost 2.5kg....he gave her a vitamin B injection and at 3pm is going to knock her out and scan and xray her to look for tumours, and try to do her teeth. If the Addisons results come before that then this may change. He is concerned that we are now on day 3 and still with no real idea of what is going on. She may go for an MRI scan if she survives today and the weekend as she is quite weak. And it is a risk doing the tests today but we can't keep doing nothing given she is not eating enough to improve and if the Addison test is negative then we are still completely in the dark.

Last edited:
Just heard that it is Addison's. Very positive test zero cortisole in her system. Started treating her for it now. So a life long meds program which isn't cheap. God knows what our insurance renewal will be....but at least she has a future.

Totally rung out. What a week.

At least she now stands a good chance of a happy life with you, even if your bank balance won't be happy!

At least she now stands a good chance of a happy life with you, even if your bank balance won't be happy!
She is insured for life long cover, but of course they tend to yank the premiums a lot....but they did pay out an exceptionally large sum for Kim over the years. I am surprised they took us on again!

Reactions: carthorse
I'm really pleased for you, and Millie! Shame she's unwell, but wow - how fortuitous is it that she's with you, just when it reared its head, and you know exactly what it entails. Some things are meant to be.

Reactions: carthorse
Harrison's brother has it so Lesley can share experiences with me. She ate well last night, she had eaten a full can of food at the vets, Andrew the vet was delighted, he is so pleased he got a diagnosis and at least can now help her. when she came home she ate some wet dog food with steak tartare which i got the butcher to prepare for her and she wolfed that down. When she came up to bed with us - this will stop soon - she stole two sachets of cat food and ate it all....this morning she has had her first pill and a little comfort break walk and now eaten come of the anorexic food the vet gave us and some more of the steak. He wants her to rest up and take it easy, do very little walking just chill out. In a few days I can weight her as we have a platform scale here.

Gosh - I'm quite emotional reading this - I think we're all very invested in your poodles' wellbeing!

Gosh - I'm quite emotional reading this - I think we're all very invested in your poodles' wellbeing!
The vet loved her, she was such a gentle girl, even though she was feeling so rough, He was really upset and worried about her as they were the same vets who attended to Kim's departure.

Reactions: Huggy
She's so lucky to have found someone who's bothered to get to the bottom of it and maintain her properly.

I know nothing about Addison's in dogs, could it account for how she was when she came to you, or could the change in lifestyle, even though it's for the better, have highlighted it? I'm just curious.

She's so lucky to have found someone who's bothered to get to the bottom of it and maintain her properly.

I know nothing about Addison's in dogs, could it account for how she was when she came to you, or could the change in lifestyle, even though it's for the better, have highlighted it? I'm just curious.
She may have had it for a while and was managing until the level of cortisol fluctuated. Her readings were very very low. They tend to sometimes have a crisis or lapse and this may be what has happened. but who knows. She was extremely ill, could have died. Vet said if we ever find her completely comatose, then she needs her injection at once so ring at any time and bring her in. I may ask if we can keep a dose here unless it has to be iv. But i imagine it is a bit like diabetes, levels can fluctuate. Her extra exercise, or stress, or whatever might have made her go into failure. But i don't know enough about it.

Thank you, and while you may not know everything about it you know an awful lot more than me. It sounds like it's going to take careful long term management, but you've shown in the past that that's something you can do x

Harrison's brother Ollie has it and Lesley manages him so well he does agility and scent work competitions plus is walked actively. She ate 3 sausages yesterday and had Millie's Wolfheart wet food which she ate up. This morning she has had a sausage and half a can of MW and we will grind up some of the kibble to give her a crumb for a bit more roughage. Did a little walk up to the church where she sees bunnies and she was back to her old self, paws on wall searching for bunnies. She also assisted in hens this morning, howling at them. We had 217 of them here yesterday as we did our second rehoming, 217 hens out of 100,000.....Hens.jpg

Last edited:
newrider.com