Please sign, our lake District is under threat

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
38 degrees needs at least 50,000 votes to help stop the Government using this national Park as a Nuclear dumping ground.. keep an eye on them though guys, we don't know where they'll try next :hot:

It’s inspired our poets and painters for centuries, and still provides a haven of unspoiled beauty and calm for millions of visitors every year.

But if we don’t act, our iconic and beloved Lake District could soon be known as something else: the UK’s newest nuclear waste dump and the largest toxic dump in the world. [1]

We’re not making this up. And if this plan goes ahead, it’s not only radioactive waste we’d be dumping: we’d likely be kissing goodbye to tens of thousands of jobs and wiping billions of pounds off our tourist industry as well.

We don’t have much time - decision-makers meet tomorrow. But they’re under heavy pressure already - experts have condemned the plans, local people have been up in arms and thousands have signed a 38 Degrees petition to stop the nuclear dump. A late surge of signatures could be all we need to push them over the edge - and stop this crazy plan once and for all.

Click here to sign the petition:
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/stop-lakes-nuclear-dump

A few years ago, the government asked local councils to volunteer to store the country’s nuclear waste. Cumbria County Council responded, lured by the prospect of new jobs in construction. Now councillors are meeting tomorrow to vote whether to start investigating potential dump sites - either next to or actually inside the borders of the national park.

They’re actually considering this. Radioactive waste. Inside our largest national park.

Eminent scientists like Stuart Haszeldine of the University of Edinburgh are already warning that if a dump is built, radioactive gas could leak to the surface within 60 years. But you don’t have to be a geology professor to work out that this plan is a monumentally bad idea. [2]

If we can show local officials their dumping plans are likely to cause a national outcry, they’ll be much more likely to quietly drop them at their vote this Wednesday. Sign the petition now:

When David Cameron’s government tried to sell off our forests, we didn’t let them sweet-talk a few local decision-makers with promises of economic gain. We banded together as a nation and said, ‘no way - this history, this heritage, this space for wild beauty and freedom belongs to all of us.’

Well, the Lake District is a national treasure. It employs 55,000 people in tourism alone - but how many people are going to want to visit a national park scarred by a Channel Tunnel-sized construction project? Who’s going to go on holiday to a toxic waste dump the size of a city? This is going to cost jobs - and far more than will ever be created by turning the Lake District into the UK’s newest dumping ground. [3]

Most of the country still has no idea this is happening - and we only have 24 hours to spread the word far and wide. Click here to sign the petition - and share it with your friends:

Thank you for standing up for something so special,

Hannah, David, Marie and the 38 Degrees team

PS: Our petition is going to be hand-delivered to local officials tomorrow. It was set up by 38 Degrees member Peter Maher from Cumbria on the new ‘Campaigns by You’ part of the 38 Degrees site. ‘Campaigns by You’ is a free and powerful tool that lets you start and run campaigns on any issue you care about. Check out the campaigns that are already running or start your own here: http://you.38degrees.org.uk/

NOTES
[1] The Guardian: 'Nuclear waste? No thanks,' say Lake District national park tourism chiefs
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/16/cumbria-tourism-chiefs-oppose-nuclear-waste-burial
[2] Open Democracy: How to bury nuclear waste under the democratic carpet in Cumbria
http://www.opendemocracy.net/openec...lear-waste-under-democratic-carpet-in-cumbria
[3] Cumbria Tourism research
http://www.cumbriatourism.org/research/surveys-data.aspx

Will definitely sign this a bit later Sarah, when I get time.
I used to get email alerts from 38 degrees, it's a great site and does show that if enough people feel strongly about something, change can happen.

There is good news about this for now DS, I got this email today from 38 degrees -

My name’s Peter Maher, and I’m a 38 Degrees member who lives in the Lake District. I’m emailing to share some great news. Yesterday afternoon, Cumbria County Council voted against plans to build a nuclear waste dump in the beautiful Lake District. For now, our beloved Lakes are safe. [1]

When I first heard about the plans, I thought they were a joke. How could anyone even consider spoiling the iconic Lake District with nuclear waste?

I decided to do everything in my power to stop this from happening. I started a petition on the new ‘Campaigns by You’ part of the 38 Degrees website. And since then, the campaign has grown into something truly special.

I was blown away by the response from our community - and also by the support from across the UK and beyond. Thousands of us signed the petition and emailed councillors to stop this from happening. We took our petition to the council, and on the day of the vote we had three huge signs displaying the growing number of petition signatures right outside their offices. It certainly got us noticed! [2]

Everything we did together worked. The councillors voted no. I want to say thank you to everyone who got involved. I’m so proud of what we achieved.

I posted this email (OP above) to the dark side.. and got some very negative responses :frown:.. some people just don't realize the shear impact this could have, not only on the Lake District but everywhere else. If they'd have succeeded, then what else would they deem acceptable? Apparently 'some' of the waste would have come from Europe... I don't want our precious countryside becoming a nuclear dumping ground for the rest of the world.
This was a post I put up on FB in reaction to the thread..
'I can't believe the number of people who would sooner turn the Lake District into a Toxic dump than seek out alternate energy.. I don't want to see a repeat of Gruinard Island, which remains uninhabitable 48 years after anthrax was used there :( (they've only just allowed sheep back there)
This is an extract from the Japanese Nuclear disaster from after the Tsunami - In March 2011, Japanese officials announced that "radioactive iodine-131 exceeding safety limits for infants had been detected at 18 water-purification plants in Tokyo and five other prefectures".[249] As of July 2011, the Japanese government has been unable to control the spread of radioactive material into the nation's food. Radioactive material has been detected in a range of produce, including spinach, tea leaves, milk, fish and beef, up to 200 miles from the nuclear plant. Inside the 12-mile evacuation zone around the plant, all farming has been abandoned.'
The dangers of 'out of sight, out of mind' are all too real..

Then there's fracking.... they reckoned the Lake District had the safest rocks (transpires that it doesn't).. fracking causes earthquakes..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20758673
Combination of the 2? Scary to be honest... Sorry if I come across a bit over dramatic, seen too many disaster movies.....
Yes, I know Lancashire isn't the Lake District, but they're neighbours..

It is all quite scary sometimes. Governments decide and do what they want and then apologise later to the people affected when it's gone pear shaped.

God i wouldnt want that in lovely Perthshire i will sign and watch with interest. It can be quite frightening what governments get up to i was watching a programme from down south on this HS2 and hardly any ordinary people wanted it but nearly all the politicians did, you have to ask yourself how much money has greased these politicians grubby little hands.

newrider.com