Pledge dry dusting cloths

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I'm gutted, they've been discontinued. I've used them for donkeys years and no idea how I'll dust now. Our house is ridiculously dusty. Honestly you can dust in the morning and be able to write your name in it again by tea time in the downstairs rooms where the dogs go. A normal yellow duster just pushes the dust around. The pledge cloths attract the dust so they end up minging black with dust, but the surfaces would be clean. What am I going to do?

My mum is horrified that I donā€™t dust with pledge. The can she gave me when I moved in years ago is still under the sink.

I am in no way a decent keep my house clean person but I prefer some sort of antibac spray and kitchen towel. To me it is better as it grabs the dust and then you can throw away the kitchen towel rather than just shifting the dust. And I feel I am maybe killing some bugs too.

I've never tried this myself but tumble dryer sheets are supposed to good as they are designed to attract static so I think the idea is the dust is pulled with the charge. I don't have a tumble dryer so can't do a trial run for you I'm afraid!

I love the smell of pledge polish, and since covid, now go round the house once a day with dettol spray. Probably does stuff all, but makes me believe my house is clean.

I didnt like the pledge dusters.
I dont like pledge wood polish. Its supposed to make the furniture shine. Well i actually think its dried furniture out and makes it look dull.
Dont mind the multi surface pledge, that seems better.

I actually prefer the Mr Sheen multi surface polish. It seems to draw more dust away.

Oh and the yellow dusters need to be the proper yellow dusters with the red trim. Not those yellow cloths that are supposed to be super absorbent. They do push the dust round.

We use yellow dusters. Lots of them. They live in two poly carrier bags. The clean ones in one bag and then after any use, moved to the other. They are washed regularly after each use.
Whether or not you just lift the dust so it settles elsewhere or gather it into the duster is a matter of dusting technique. But we have a hand held vacuum for where it is bad.
We are lucky to have a professional cleaner who has worked for us for for a long time and she does it this way. Lots of dusters.
We dont use any damp dusting product as it turn the dust to sludge.

But I donā€™t use it each time I dust. A damp cloth gets up most of our dust. The stairs in particular attract dust, think it filters in from the utility room and garage, which are the first places we visit when weā€™ve been out and about. I used to blame the tumble dryer but donā€™t have one now. I thought it was circulating dust! But itā€™s broken and we didnā€™t bother fixing it. And still plenty of dust. I have to do it daily though as mr trews has asthma which is made worse by too much dust. I wash the cloths at 60 cos I think thatā€™s The minimum temp that kills the mites off.

I'm gutted, they've been discontinued. I've used them for donkeys years and no idea how I'll dust now. Our house is ridiculously dusty. Honestly you can dust in the morning and be able to write your name in it again by tea time in the downstairs rooms where the dogs go. A normal yellow duster just pushes the dust around. The pledge cloths attract the dust so they end up minging black with dust, but the surfaces would be clean. What am I going to do?
Try eBay sometimes folk have old stock.

We use that too but only on some of our slightly polished furniture, like the dining table. We use antiquax on our antiques.
By the way, s.i.l.'s family were joiners and taught me to use very very fine wire wool to remove heavy dirt and build up of polish on our modern furniture. My parents stored one antique stand in their garage. We managed to buy it at auction and used wire wool to restore it to how it should be.

If using wire wool please be gentle and take care. One should not use any pressure. But it can be useful if someone spills red wine on your polished table,.

Last edited:
Wow some of you take this dusting malarkey really seriously šŸ˜‚ Thanks for all your replies, I am going to try the kitchen towel technique and order some new dusters with red binding. I didnt realise people still dusted and polished, it seems light years since I did that, although I have a feeling I also have a tin of pledge in the cupboard under the sink.

My process is to hoover the skirting boards, blinds and ledges, dry dusting cloth the surfaces, picture frames, blinds (once in a blue moon) and wash down the paintwork, walls and doors and any marks on the furniture - both dogs spread mud about and one is slobbery and tall so when he shakes his head he can reach all the corners of a room šŸ¤¢

Apart from the washing down I do everything else while I'm waiting for something - like the oven to warm up etc. I don't have time to dedicate to an actual dusting session šŸ˜…

I do have some tumble dryer sheets - I read a tip that they're good to place between items of stored linen to keep it smelling fresh - so I'll give one of them a try. I think it would work out expensive to use them though.

Wow some of you take this dusting malarkey really seriously šŸ˜‚ Thanks for all your replies, I am going to try the kitchen towel technique and order some new dusters with red binding. I didnt realise people still dusted and polished, it seems light years since I did that, although I have a feeling I also have a tin of pledge in the cupboard under the sink.

My process is to hoover the skirting boards, blinds and ledges, dry dusting cloth the surfaces, picture frames, blinds (once in a blue moon) and wash down the paintwork, walls and doors and any marks on the furniture - both dogs spread mud about and one is slobbery and tall so when he shakes his head he can reach all the corners of a room šŸ¤¢

Apart from the washing down I do everything else while I'm waiting for something - like the oven to warm up etc. I don't have time to dedicate to an actual dusting session šŸ˜…

I do have some tumble dryer sheets - I read a tip that they're good to place between items of stored linen to keep it smelling fresh - so I'll give one of them a try. I think it would work out expensive to use them though.
Lol yes I dust whilst waiting for the kettle to boil or waiting for the washer to finish - I have to do it whilst I see it, else I forget hahahahaa.

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com