Plse help! Important!!

Charli

Aug 7, 2014
I'm going to share my horse. He's 23ish yrs old but doesn't know it! He can still go fast, loves hacks and jumping can be stiff in dressage but has nice paces. I would like the sharer to poopick when they come down (he does 1barrow a day) no stable duties and help with schooling, hacking don't mind him doing shoes but he's not keen on travelling but local show grounds nearby. I would still like to ride him 3x week so should I share him 4x or 3x week? How much should I charge for this? Thanks! I know this is a long msg;) xx

Hi Charli and welcome to the forum.:)

Only you know your horse well enough to know if he is fit and able to still be ridden six or seven times a week - I guess it depends on what he is used to? I have no idea what to charge really, especially as you will be asking them to poo pick each day they are down - personally I would just allow someone to have say an hour or so riding for a barrow load of poo picking. I dont think it is really fair to charge AND expect them to poo pick and school your horse for you. After all, will they have time on each day to do both?.

There again I guess some people would be only to happy to pay and poo pick for a ride - but it does sound more like a vacancy for a part time groom to school and poo pick. Do you know anyone local to you who shares, perhaps they would give you a guide to the going rate for sharing.

Reactions: Trewsers
we had a 23yr old competing at national driving events! :D When I had a sharer for a horse a few yrs ago with similar set up, I charged £10 per day. I did however have fairly reasonable DIY livery, no arena as such just a grass area, but excellent hacking.

What you charge depends on whether getting some money is more important or getting the right rider is more important. I charge a low rate (£50 a month) because my sharer is perfect.

Thanks for the advice! Very helpful:) sorry I meant the sharer could do hacking schooling some jumping etc I don't mind he loves hacking but can't jump above 80cm sorry I wasn't very clear!:/ poopicking very flexible in winter I usually catch up on weekends if I'm busy especially in winter! Thanks again:)

Before I bought my horse I shared a horse called Bailey and paid £100 per month for 2 days a week. I had to skip out the stable and turn him out after I had ridden. The yard had a small school but not much else in the way of facilities and only road hacking. I thought that this was quite a good deal.

My yard has good facilities and amazing hacking but I guess his age would turn some people away. I really want a sharer whose sensitive to my horse but I do also need the money!

the best thing you can do is advertise and vet people out ! Watch them ride and how they interact with your horse, you also need to make sure you get on with them to :)

I don't think people will mind about the age thing, if he's fit and active and enjoys his work - it's only an issue really if you're the one picking up the vet bills! I think £10 per ride/day is reasonable, but I know someone people don't like the 'per ride' thing.

newrider.com