Pockets in riding tights

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Does anyone use the zip pocket in the back of the waistband that some brands, Ariat for example, put there? If so what do you put in it? I can't see the point of having one there, it's awkward to access, and I suspect could be potentially dangerous in the case of a fall if you had much more than a tissue in it. Luckily my pairs have two other good pockets in useful places, I try not to buy tights without pockets!

No. If I am riding without a jacket with pockets, I put my keys, wallet and phone in a cheap purse belt. Bought as a travel belt pouch which can be worn underneath ones clothes to deter theft. Costs about £4.

I have one of those if I need it @Skib but I prefer not to bother. Keys etc I leave at the yard so it's only really my phone, inhaler, and treats that I need to take and I can fit those in tights pockets. It's the placement of the one on the back that I don't understand.

If I had any with that zip, I would probably use it to put women's products in.
It would be more discrete than other pockets, that I don't use anyway.

Reactions: carthorse
I keep a £10 note in mine, useful on the route there is sometimes an icecream van!

Talking about pockets though, does anyone 100% trust the phone pockets to actually keep your phone in? I dont!

I keep a £10 note in mine, useful on the route there is sometimes an icecream van!

Talking about pockets though, does anyone 100% trust the phone pockets to actually keep your phone in? I dont!
I can see ours arrive 😂
Though the novelty of riding down to get one has worn off.

How can the novelty of an ice cream while riding in the summer wear off?! Though I suspect I'd have to either buy two or have one that could be easily shared 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Tir
I'm sure Sid would love a Cornetto.

My favourite riding tights are from Dark Horse. They don't have a pointless zippy pocket but the thigh pockets are deep and well machined at the top, so my phone has always felt perfectly safe in there.

I’ve not got riding tights with that back pocket, but I have some cycling ones that do, I’ve only ever used it for cash!

I often ride with my phone in the thigh pocket, I’ve never felt like it would come out.

How can the novelty of an ice cream while riding in the summer wear off?! Though I suspect I'd have to either buy two or have one that could be easily shared 😂
Because I can see the van from the field, it's nothing special after a while.
I would still like to take her out and get fish and chips, parking could be an issue 😂

Ha! I have a mobile fish and chip van at the yard on a tuesday so can trade for the icecreams?

I have no problem resisting the chippy. :)

I will trade yes.
Now my thinking is to put the food in her saddle bag. I think I will only be able to fit chips into one of them.
I was going to ring ahead so my order is placed and ideally paid for so it's not holding up traffic (you can guarantee someone will want to drive down the lane)
My other thought is just go get them and sit in the field and eat them 😂

So not to go ot, that pocket could be for a tissue or ten that I will need after my food.

I could've manage fish and chips sitting on Chunky with his width. Could use my tea tray with folding legs and stood it across his shoulders. Better still on the carriage, no problem.
Couldnt have done it on a bouncing Bill.

newrider.com