Ponies and finding a rider

Yankee1

Oct 6, 2009
It seems much harder finding a rider for a pony than it does for a horse. Since we moved to N. Yorkshire I have advertised in equine websites, local feed stores, spend a lot of money advertising in local newspapers and except for one caller who came and met my pony and then decided she didn't like my treeless saddle, I have not had any luck.

I have advertised for a sharer for my 12.2hh welsh pony twice in the past year and I found someone really quickly both times and they were the first ones to come and see her and I liked them and vice versa.

They were both very petite ladies and both worked out well.

I advertised in Horsemart and Horseshares magazine so not local advertising but still found people very local to me, so you could try them.

I am sure you will find someone soon. Good Luck.

Same problem - all riders small enough to ride June are kids that need to be on the lead rein - I haven't yet found someone little and confident enough that have a good riding ability to loan June so I have given up and will keep her primarily for driving! Until the time comes in 3 years to break jazz - then she will go in foal!!!

How big is your pony? Unless he/she is very small or very green, it shouldn't be too hard (famous last words).

Here's a few sites you could try:

Horsehunter.com
Newrider.com (not the forum, the classifieds bit)
equineadverts.co.uk
thehorseexchange.co.uk
adhorse.co.uk
adtrader.co.uk

Also, how is your advert worded? Sometimes this can be the key to getting the phone ringing.

I spent a while advertising for an adult sharer for my 12hh welsh pony, I thought I wouldn't get anyone but then I had someone reply about her and she is fab! She gets on really well with her, is the right size for her, likes my treeless saddle and does some Parelli so gets how I deal with my horses, couldn't be happier with my sharer :biggrin:

I have had the same problem. My pony is not even terribly small or anything! He is 14.1hh Welsh Cob X who is totally stunning but isn't suited to kids cause he is ex-rescue pony but nevertheless would be ideal for a sensitive handler who is fairly calm and competent when riding.

But can I get anybody?? Keep getting calls from novices although the last time I advertised I didn't even get a single call. Have given up and he is now out in the field doing nothing.

Don't understand it cause he looks amazing and Im not even looking for any £!!

Not going to worry anymore

When I was riding my pony in the winter, he only got ridden once or twice a week and was fine. So, now that I don't ride anymore, I am not going to worry if I can't find a rider for regular exercises. I have one lovely teenager who rides him on Sundays and another one who rides him occasionally and that will have to do.:smile:

There is a culture in this country of wanting to move onto bigger horses. Combine that with the problems of finding a small enough jockey and that's why it's harder.

I personally prefer as small as I can get away with as smaller is more practical for the type of riding I do.

I am having the opposite problem at the moment! Looking for another smaller pony for me to ride, as Frayne's lameness is probably going to be longterm. Have enquired about 2 ponies (both 13hh) and their owners say they are not suitable for an adult (I was riding a 11.2hh last year with no issues); for child riders only?! Fair enough if they want them to be doing Pony Club etc, but a home with me is surely better than just standing in a field doing nothing.

I have only been offered 15.2hhs and a 16hh so far :unsure:

I have heard about some young Exmoor geldings, so hopefully there will be another mealy nose on the yard soon. Only 12.1hh and very capable of taking an adult :tongue:

Ali xx

There is a culture in this country of wanting to move onto bigger horses. Combine that with the problems of finding a small enough jockey and that's why it's harder.

I personally prefer as small as I can get away with as smaller is more practical for the type of riding I do.

I totally agree with you Joyscarer, its a bug bear of mine. You see people being almost railroaded into moving onto horses from ponies that they are just not capable of riding.

Personally I don't do big horses I'm 5'9" and ride a 14.3. And to be perfectly honest I went out looking for a 15h+ gelding and came back with a 14.3 coloured mare. My list of criteria was a hardy pony/horse who wouldn't mind not being ridden every day as without a menage or anysort of lighting available to me in the fields in the winter my riding is limited to the weekend. People still look down on me and say that I should have something bigger and with a bit more "pep" and my words back to them are phaaaaa why should I? I defy anyone to find a more level headed horse with such a big heart and so geniune right to the last, they don't know my horse, they don't know that she can have her moments but they also don't know that I could put an absolutely beginner on her back and she's going to look after them like they are the crown jewels.

Ditto Joyscarer...

I love having ponies, and wouldnt swap madam for anything. She's only tiny, and often get "Ooh you'll grow out of her soon!" when we go out, but shes happy and so am I. Shes doing more work than shes ever done and is full of beans and keeps galloping off with me :giggle:

The growing out thing annoys me. Even if I chose a pony again, I would still opt for the 12"3/13hh mark in general... Though I met a gorgeous 12"1 the other week... ooohI could have taken him home and gone jumping with him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally agree with you Joyscarer, its a bug bear of mine. You see people being almost railroaded into moving onto horses from ponies that they are just not capable of riding.

Personally I don't do big horses I'm 5'9" and ride a 14.3. And to be perfectly honest I went out looking for a 15h+ gelding and came back with a 14.3 coloured mare. My list of criteria was a hardy pony/horse who wouldn't mind not being ridden every day as without a menage or anysort of lighting available to me in the fields in the winter my riding is limited to the weekend. People still look down on me and say that I should have something bigger and with a bit more "pep" and my words back to them are phaaaaa why should I? I defy anyone to find a more level headed horse with such a big heart and so geniune right to the last, they don't know my horse, they don't know that she can have her moments but they also don't know that I could put an absolutely beginner on her back and she's going to look after them like they are the crown jewels.

I totally agree with you and Joyscarer. Ponies who can carry adults are just as good as full size horses. Mine is cheeky but kind and patient and loving. I wouldn't trade him for anything. :biggrin:

I adore my pony, she's only 13.3, has no trouble carrying me (10 stone & 5ft6) I didn't go looking for a pony, she landed in my lap and I thank my lucky stars that she did! :inlove: She's fab so much fun, willing, enthusiastic (also strong willed, bloody minded, thinks she knows best) I really wouldn't swap her for anything, she suits me just fine.

I personally am put off pony ads unless they say that they will be weight-carrying or unless the ad specifies HW cob or something, as I'm 5'8, around 11 stone and obviously the 'finer' breeds wouldn't carry me. My last share was a 15'1 cob and we fitted together well .. I like 'em as short as I can get away with!

If you were to advertise again, maybe put in there the max weight of sharer you want or make it clear if they are a heavier breed.

I love my Fells 13.2/3hh little strong power houses :biggrin:

I agree there is pressure to move onto horses when the ponies they have are still suitable how many times have I seen, *pony outgrown by the current rider* yet I am 5 ft 7 and ride very happilly a 13.2 pony.

I was looking for adult helpers and sharers for my ponies but here I only find teenagers :(

Last edited:
What sort of ponies have you got i.e native types or finer im 5'4 but not putting my exact weight here but would have to be native type lol

Since this seems to have turned into an 'I love my pony' thread I may as well add that mine is a welsh cob as well (not sure of exact height but would hazard a guess of about 14-14.1hh) and I love her, wouldn't change her for anything! But I have also found it quite difficult to find a sharer for her and now that the latest one has fallen through I think I might stop looking and just let madam have a lazy winter only being ridden on weekends - I'm sure she won't mind in the slightest :)

Since this seems to have turned into an 'I love my pony' thread I may as well add that mine is a welsh cob as well (not sure of exact height but would hazard a guess of about 14-14.1hh) and I love her, wouldn't change her for anything! But I have also found it quite difficult to find a sharer for her and now that the latest one has fallen through I think I might stop looking and just let madam have a lazy winter only being ridden on weekends - I'm sure she won't mind in the slightest :)
Happy Bunny, that is the way I feel since I can't find a rider for my Welsh Cob either. He will be ridden at least once week this winter. I know he does not mind at all!:smile:

I can't understand why people don't want to ride the littlies. Give me one any day - I feel much safer closer to the ground! I used to share a 13.2 ish who took up the leg, and once I got used to her size I loved riding her. I now ride a 14.3 and would prefer her to be nearer 14hh, ideally. I'm 5' 4" and I don't think I'd be too happy on anything over 15.2, unless the horse was a real saint.

If I was looking for a share, I'd jump at the chance of riding a largeish pony, provided it was quite chunky. I think ponies are more fun, and have more character.

newrider.com