Pony club

kimbo1069

Dec 12, 2019
Hi there, my daughter started horse riding lessons about 6 months ago, she is 11 years old and really keen.on joining the pony club. I have asked several times at the centre she goes too about it and just keep getting told my daughter is not ready and there is a waiting list?! My daughter is now trotting on her own, but hasnt had any cantering training, does the same thing every week.She hasnt got her own horse. Please can someone give me some advice, my daughter loves it but doesn't seem to be taken seriously when I ask about pony club. Any advice much appreciated. Kim

You have to have your own horse to be able to do pony club and you have to jump a minimum of 50 cm canter walk and trot . They have very strict rules in place . I advise you to do your research on this.

Is the Pony Club at the RS?
There is often a waiting list - I suggest you add your daughter's name to the list. And actually ask why she isnt yet ready?
Pony Club meetings often include a group class.
At some schools children are not allowed to join a group lesson until they can canter.

More important than the Pony Club is to understand what your daughter is doing in her lessons and why?
Is it a large riding centre with group lessons?
Does she have a group lesson? Or private?
Not everyone canters in their first six months of riding. And those who canter soon dont always end up the best at it.
Where children are taught from the start in groups, they are moved up a class when they achieve a particular skill. Trotting on her own often qualifies for promotion so that is good.

But a lot of the preparation for canter is done in trot. Most RSs in the UK teach canter from trot. It isnt ideal because it requires certain skiils. When one is asking a horse to canter, first one must have an active trot. Then one must sit to this trot. And most RS ponies are taught to canter from a corner, so the learner must sit to an active trot at a corner of the school which is harder than doing it on the straight.

I go to a school where canter is taught from walk or on the lunge. So this is not always the situation.

But in most UK schools, many early lessons will be spent riding without stirrups, riding trot without stirrups and finally sitting to the trot with stirrups, (which oddly can be more difficult).
They will also be spent practising riding with good balance round corners and on a circle.

I hope this is helpful, but please do have a chat with the school. Not to com[plain, but to understand their system and what is going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huggy and kimbo1069
Altho Lexi may be right, I am not sure this is always the case within a riding school, especially an inner city riding school offering schemes for children to work on the yard in return for a weekly group lesson.
There are several things one cant do without a horse of one's own. I dont have a horse of my own but I have done most of them.

Reactions: kimbo1069
Welcome to NR :) Unfortunately it doesn't sound like your daughter would be ready to join (the official) Pony Club given she only walks/trots riding school ponies, unless you are referring to an in house 'pony club' run by the RS? perhaps see if the RS run any 'own a pony' days or 'camp' in the school holidays as those can be good for getting novices more pony time without it being based on riding level and ownership :)

If you are concerned that your daughter is not progressing, perhaps have a chat with the RI and see if they can explain what they are working on with her currently or what is holding her back, it is not uncommon with kids to spend quite a bit of time at trot before learning to canter, often it is their natural balance and the speed with which they pick it up that effects their progression, and if they are more sensitive or gung-ho. If you feel like they are perhaps just going through the motions each week then that conversation may spark some change or you may need to look for private or more progressive teaching to get your daughter to where she wants to be.

Reactions: Huggy and kimbo1069
There are Pony Club branches, as described above, but there are also Pony Club Centres, which are designed for children who do not have their own ponies. There are usually based in a riding school, though not all riding schools have them. They conform to all the usual Pony Club standards. The Tests are the same etc. But there are also badges and special other tests for Centre members. I used to help run a Pony Club Centre and our membership included those who had just sat on a pony for the first time upwards!
If your daughter’s riding school Is not a Centre, nor has a similar set-up of its own, it may be worth seeing if there is a Centre somewhere else near you.

newrider.com