Pony - Outline Probs...

Chloe95

I LUV TITAN 4 EVA!
May 11, 2006
hi every onee :):)

On the yard ther is this crackiing jumping pony, 14.2hh connie x welsh cob 7 years old and i am currently helping the rider with him. He is a short backed pony with short strides, when he relaxes he takes fewer slightly longer strides instead of taking lots of very short strides...

questions...

1) When he is asked to go in an outline he comes round nicely but his strides become very short and he slows down - almost trying to walk on the spot.

**he just seems to think that coming in an outline means SHORT strides...**

I havent been on him since before xmas - i have jus been helping her from the ground. Im not sure that if me getting on the pony is the right decision as him being in an outline with me will not sort the problem out for the rider.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks x :D

Don't ask for an outline. Teach the 'head down' cue. I have a bracy tense pony, and I have a silly saddlebred whose idea is to tuck in behind the bit and go very short strided 'up-down' with all the feet. This works for both of them (long term - it's a slow process).

You just ask them to drop their head to the ground - obviously they won't do that on day one ! With a pony who already has some experience of what they think you're asking (like my two) I've found it much easier to explain it to them on the ground first, in a halter, just saying 'drop your head' and showing them by pulling on the lead rope, pressing the top of their head etc.

Once they've got that, we put a bridle on and do the same, and get them dropping their head using the rein cue just as though you were riding.

Then do it at a halt, then a walk etc.

You just keep asking them to reach forward and down, releasing the rein every time they do it even a little bit ... until after however many rides, they are walking along lips to the ground. Once you can get this in trot, and in canter, then you're getting somewhere.

I use this as a warm-up now on all of them, before we start work. Lips to the ground and moving forward with long strides. Then when you start to lift them up again, you keep the long strides ... and if they even begin to think about shortening ... get the head straight back down again.

In addition to Kate's good advice, make sure he's comfortable & physically able to do as you ask. Short, choppy stride often comes from imbalanced feet, saddle fit/back pain issues, etc. It also sounds like stress may be a possible cause, as you say when he is calm he's ok, but that's rare. Perhaps trust & confidence are big issues here too.

we have a jumping pony who is very forward going, been advised to work her long and low - long rein means freedom to her - lets canter!

The best advice we got was to ride her forwards then worry about slowing her down
A lot of these jumping ponies go fromthe contact not the leg - so they really need to be ridden forwards from the leg. We done a lot of lunge work with rider on board and we can now do a lovely dressage test wheras before it was walk to canter(fast). Granted she takes a god while to warm up as we need to let her go forwards in trot - which will be very fast and extended then gradually start slowing her down - thining slow, rising slow but not too much hand.

Thanks,,

The rider has had some confidence issues recently, forgetting to do her girth up and coming off whilst on a hack and the pony bucking when she got back on. The bucking was his 'excitable' side coming through as they had the vet out just incase.

yeah long and low works on the pony when he is listening to her but if he isnt listening he thinks it too means canter and goes off....:rolleyes:

thanks
x:)

Sounds like the pony needs more training, to teach him to relax & that loose reins don't mean he can bolt. Sounds like the current rider isn't the one for the job tho, as her attitude & reactions will make his worse. She would benefit from some lessons on a well trained, calm horse in the meantime, while someone experienced & confident worked with hers.

wondahoss - you must have good advice as my instructor is giving the rider lessons on the school ponies as of today lol....

meanwhile i have the task of calming down the pony,, should be fun :rolleyes::)

x

newrider.com