pony turning into a bully!

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Don't know whats got into Bonnie just now. she's been a real little cow!! she parades round the hay like she owns it and toby isn't given a look in. she's always aiming kicks at him (thank god she's no hind shoes on!) and just generally being a madam. i don't know whether to leave them to fight it out themselves or separate toby off into the grassy paddock.

i've a feeling it is down to a bit of jealous rivalry between them. now she's back on form, Bonnie goes berserk when i try to take toby out hacking. oh well, maybe i should just be grateful she's feeling better. i'm sure toby is praying for the day her muzzle goes back on!!

It could be jealousy. Can you put out several piles and then Toby will be able to get hay without the risk of being kicked? Might be a bit early but just a thought- maybe she's coming into season? Martini's been acting weird with the gelding in the stable next door but then she tends to be a bit random with her seasons :rolleyes:

we just stick out a huge round bale in the middle of the field. she runs round it and stops him getting anything to eat :rolleyes: i think she may well be in season. we've been talking about sticking her back on moody mare.....

shearer's exactly the same!! he can take charge of three piles of hay no matter how far they are apart. he's actually putting ona bit too much weight because of this! he cant have hind shoes on because he kicks aswell!!!:rolleyes:

Sounds like she is feeling better and doesn't understand why she should be kept lean anymore ;) Probably a combination of things, perhaps a season and feeling on form and she is just getting on her high horse a bit :D

oh yes, she's back on top form now!! she'd been ill so long i'd forgotten what a monkey she could be. its not nice for toby, but its great to see her full of herself :D

If it's any consolation our cob has similar moments - as everyone says, we put out more hay heaps than needed and let the battle begin... They seem to settle though. I was told that if they've ever been "starved" they can get very defensive over feed - ours was a rescue pony starved in the past, sounds like you had to limit yours for health reasons. So perhaps it's a normal behaviour given the situation. Sorry I can't help more!

newrider.com