Poor Cheeky Chickens

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
The fox has had my 3 chickens, took them last night... think OH with have to go lamping to pay back the favour!

There are too many foxes around here, because the gamekeeper is saving them for the hunt.... well there will be a few less come Monday morning!:stomp:

Poor hens - did the fox get in their house? We're very lucky that the local farmer is often out lamping so our hens dont get bothered by Mr Fox - we did lose a few to weasles a couple of years ago though which was horrible

Weasels, jeepers, how horrid!

Our girls are shut up tight at night, but I still think that our two dogs are the real reason Mr Fox doesn't dig his way in.

I felt so guilty as one night when i put the hens away - one decided she didnt want to go in one of the houses, I put her in, shut the door and the next morning, one of the hens had been killed overnight in the hen house, the only animal small enough to get in was a weasle - and we saw the footprints in the snow and got a gamekeeper friend to look at them for us as we couldnt believe it!

Hate weasles!

Poor chickens. Foxes are a nightmare. Our neighbour had 70, a fox got onto the ROOF of his thatched barn, and literally ripped through the roof, dropped into the barn, and killed all but 4 of his hens. :( We've lost several to the foxes here. :(

There was a fox the other night, as bold as brass, sitting on top of our hay bales. He wasn't scared at all...but didn't stay long enough for me to get the gun. :rolleyes:

I felt so guilty as one night when i put the hens away - one decided she didnt want to go in one of the houses, I put her in, shut the door and the next morning, one of the hens had been killed overnight in the hen house, the only animal small enough to get in was a weasle - and we saw the footprints in the snow and got a gamekeeper friend to look at them for us as we couldnt believe it!

Hate weasles!

We had a hen attacked by a stoat or weasel - she survived, but what a mess! Evil little things!

They do get bold don't they? OH shot one that I spotted in the field out the window whilst cooking tea a while ago... It was mousing in the grass with the sheep all stood watching... OH did a run for his gun and out....I had the mission impossible music playing in my head all the time he was running round lol!

I really liked my chickens, they were cheeky, noisey and very reliable, real personality's, poor girls, feel responsible as they were not locked up properly, pop hole was frozen, had a gap.... and thats all the bloody fox needs:redface:

We rear pheasant poults, and had weasels get in our sheds once, mess and destruction!

Good news....just now OH went to get sat from car, and saw the fox in the chicken pen..... it is still in the pen...but is no longer breathing! He was coming back for seconds!

Yeah very sad about them, they were really funny and gave the dogs hell if they even thought about going near them, sad to think what happened to them... have found 1 body...:unsure:

newrider.com