Poor Snati had an epileptic fit.

Wally

Apr 16, 2000
Had an appointment for my eye test this morning, coming back from Lerwick , almost home I was flagged down by son in his car, with OH in passenger seat and dogs in the back.

Poor Snati had taken an epileptic fit out of nowhere and fitted for a couple of minutes, then taken a while to come back to his senses.

So I got in car with son, and dogs, sent OH home in mine and took Snati straight to the vets.....who gave him a good going over and found nothing.

He's just been for a walk, and back to his usual self, - spin, spin, leap, run, bounce, charge, spin, leap, run. Poor boy.

All his vital signs around half an hour after the incident were normal, and the vet said there's little can be diagnosed with one isolated episode. He could have just one off and never another one, we have to be vigilant and keep an eye in case it happens again.

Poor Snati :(. Although he won't have been distressed by the fit itself but it's not nice having to watch them go through it. Good that the vet found nothing wrong. I have an ex vet nurse as a mother who saw many dogs fit over the years and plenty never had another fit. Of .those who went on to have more most were controlled by medication.

Hopefully it's just a one off and you'll never have to witness another one.

really sorry to hear that wally. Its becoming increasingly common in collies :( here’s hoping it’s an isolated episode x

We had Border Collie/ German Shepherd X who had epilepsy. The first night we saw him fit was awful !!
He went on to have many more, but not regularly enough to risk the side effects from the drugs. We learnt to deal with it and taught everyone who looked after him how to deal with it (we never left him on his own after that).
Our dog always vomited afterwards and then was really sleepy for the rest of the day, a friends dog (who is on medication) has the opposite reaction and he goes hyper - running around like a mad thing for an hour after a fit.
There was no trigger for our dog and no pattern at all - he went months without a fit and then had two or three in a week.
Not nice to see at all, but it is something you get used to.....
Hope Snati is fit and well and it was a one-off.

We had Border Collie/ German Shepherd X who had epilepsy. The first night we saw him fit was awful !!
He went on to have many more, but not regularly enough to risk the side effects from the drugs. We learnt to deal with it and taught everyone who looked after him how to deal with it (we never left him on his own after that).
Our dog always vomited afterwards and then was really sleepy for the rest of the day, a friends dog (who is on medication) has the opposite reaction and he goes hyper - running around like a mad thing for an hour after a fit.
There was no trigger for our dog and no pattern at all - he went months without a fit and then had two or three in a week.
Not nice to see at all, but it is something you get used to.....
Hope Snati is fit and well and it was a one-off.
The plumber has just been, and he's a gundog and sheep dog trainer, He said one of his Spaniels had an epileptic fit, just the one and never again. Snati was back to his normal self in 15 minutes, neither really sleepy nor hyper. Very odd.

When we took him to the vat for a check up we were told that fits were very common. He reckoned that a third of dogs ( and humans!) would have a fit at some point in their life. The majority would only ever have one fit, and no one would know why it happened, the unlucky few would continue having them. Prime age for a dog to be diagnosed as epileptic is five. Our dog was 5.5 and he lived until he was 11.5.

Reactions: Wally
newrider.com