Position tips

Sep 29, 2019
Hi it would be very helpful if someone could give me tips on what to improve with my position riding and also how to be prepared for when your pony jumps because sometimes I feel like I’m being left behind ?❤️ Here are two pictures of me riding

Attachments

• 49F24713-1EF9-492C-98FE-07F0E7BC569C.jpeg
    49F24713-1EF9-492C-98FE-07F0E7BC569C.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 26
  • B6C1DEFE-683B-4F5A-A081-AA165DD68BF9.jpeg
    B6C1DEFE-683B-4F5A-A081-AA165DD68BF9.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: MrA
Put your stirrups up a couple of holes to begin with, they're too long and that makes you unstable through your lower leg. Think about keeping your weight in your heel and not letting your lower leg swing back. Rather than going forward up the neck think about folding from the hip and letting your bottom move back so you remain balanced over your feet. Practice this position on the flat, first in walk and then trot and canter.

Rather than going forward up the neck think about folding from the hip and letting your bottom move back so you remain balanced over your feet.
How funny. That is what my RI taught us. One's bottom goes back to balance the weight of one's head going forward.
Also funny is that I havent been able to do this. The thought is not what happens when I need to lift out of the saddle in fast canter.

I dont jump but I went to an Eventing clinic last year given by Tik Maynard and loved the advice given about leg (calf) contact in forward position for juping. Toes slightly out and the contact should be there like a wet T shirt draped down the side of the horse.

Another thing that can be useful to help you get a feel for a balanced jump position is to try it on the ground. Now obviously you can't put your heels down, but it will quickly show you how just moving your upper body forwards will overbalance you and make you fall forwards.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com