Possibly a very silly question and very good news...

jessss:)

bobbyyyy
May 2, 2008
berkshire
Okay, so first, this question may possibly seem very stupid (only got back off of holiday, brain may not be working properly yet:p) but, just wondering why a horse may wear overreach boots on their back legs, but not front?
The horse i ride at my RS wears overreaches on all 4 hooves, but when he's turned out, he has to wear back ones, not front, why is this?
I always thought overreaches were to protect from back hooves?:confused:

And secondly, I have a job! Which now means I can start looking for a horse to loan/share:D So, does anyone have any really handy websites etc for looking for horses on?
Have the usual horsemart, horsequest, here, and horse and hound, anywhere else?:)

i have put overreach boots on one of my horses back feet in th past as he used to try and pull his shoes off using the opposite back foot whilst stood still (not a very gd explanation but hope u get what i mean!) cheeky little man.
well dun on th job front thats gd news for u! cant think wher else to look but if nething cums to me i shal post it on here for u!

Overreach boots are for horses that say *over* track up. So instead of their hind feet falling where the front feet were, they over step that, and can tread on the back of their own heels, which can cause damage.

I don't know why a horse would wear over reach boots on the front?

COngrats on the job! Try the NFED website?

I used over reach boots on one my old horse's rear legs. She brushed badly and the only thing I could put on to protect her legs / hooves low down enough was over reach boots. Tendon or brushing boots were no use as they didn't come down far enough.

Can be used to prevent standing on other foot & ripping shoes off.
Also helps if a bit close behind & they catch insides of pasterns/fetlocks - these will stop shoes catching.

Same as Gordy's girl and Confuzzled. i have put overreach boots on Sen's back hooves when he had one shoe which stuck out slightly. He's close behind, and I wanted to prevent him standing on it with the other foot and taking the shoe off. So, I agree, not what they are intended for, but it did work.

Thank you guys:)

I don't know why a horse would wear over reach boots on the front?
I was always told it was because they might catch the front leg with a back hoof, and so was to stop from doing that?
Makes sense what you say though, I think that's pretty much spot on for him, he overtracks and goes overbent quite easily.

As they go faster they can be clumsy and kick their front feet with their back.

I'll use canter as an example:
Think of the sequence of the legs:
Nearfore
Right diagonal
Offhind
Nearfore
Right diagonal..... (OffFore and Nearhind= right diagonal)

as their nearfore is landing and the nearhind is coming up it is possible for them to cut the front of their hind leg (just above the hoof) with their front one causing injury.

So the boots on the back protect the horse from this danger if it occurs often.

Ok that was really hard to explain so i don't think anyone will understand but it happens to the young horses in training at my work quite often if you have a clue what i am talking about lol

:)

ive never seen over reach boots on the back :eek:
all the horses at my yard wear over reach simply because they like to rip off the shoes
but if there as "brainy" as galaxy they can always take off there over reach boots themselves and tear off their shoes creating holes in there hooves a day before a big competition :)

newrider.com