PPID/EMS

Cremola Foam

Jan 11, 2005
Scotland
I have suspisons that Peds may have PPID or EMS (or both!) I am failry well clued up on PPID as B has it and I (feel) I manage it well without medication for him. (meds didn't work for him)

I've had suspisions that Peds has it for a few months now, probably 6-12 months. My reasons for thinking so are that to my eye he has fatty deposits above his eyes, and he has a bit of a pot belly (he is slightly porky atm, but not massivly so) he takes a while to shed his winter coat and grows it back early also this year as his winter coat grew in I noticed its slightly wavy over his shoulders.

I don't know the clinical signs of EMS but I've found it reply difficult to get weight off him, despite riding him loads in the summer and him being on restricted grazing and eating only a tiny amount of chaff.

I'm debating getting him tested as I don't know what I'd do if my suspisions are confirmed. I cant really afford to medicate so would possibly go down the chasteberry route.

He has never, to my knowlage, had laminitis.

Not really sure what I'm expecting from you lot! Just needed to share!

The medication needn't work out too expensive if you buy in bulk and obtain a vet prescription. Though my vets are quite reasonable with their charges and I buy from them.
I have no idea about chasteberry. How does that work? Do you have to feed a lot?

newrider.com