Pramox - side effects?

ladywiththebaby

Mar 6, 2007
Cambridge
Just a quickie...

I wormed Tango with Equest Pramox yesterday morning. Last night he was not very interested in his hay. This morning he won't touch it and I stabled him with a load all day and he has not touched it.

He wasn't all that interested in his hard feed but did eat it all eventually - whereas he usually gobbles it up. He did later hear me making up feeds next door and whickered and I gave him a bit more as he wasn't eating his hay and he ate that ok. Apparently he ate his tea ok tonight but just won't touch the hay, and there is no grass in the field so it can't be that he's full of grass. I did take him in to a summer field for a nibble and happily munched grass?

It's the same hay that I've been using for months.

Any ideas?

Well, being footsore is a well-documented side-effect of Pramox as it is a very strong wormer.... I've had two that have reacted like this. I've also read on H&H of horses that have come down with colic, although I've not experienced that myself, thankfully. I don't want to worry you but I'd be keeping a close eye on him for the next 24-48 hours. If he's not hugely interested in eating he may be feeling a bit uncomfortable in his tum. But PLEASE DON'T PANIC..... I don't want to alarm you.... just make you aware of some of the reactions I have read about.

(hugs)

Not completely the same, but similar!- When my horse started his medication for his asthma, he went off his hay for a couple of days. He's usually really greedy too. The vet said it was probably because he's started the medication and was getting used to the taste. Presumably wormers 'taste' abit so could well be that.

One of mine reacts like this to pramox which is why I don't use it on him anymore - however his symptoms were exactly as you have described for Tango. My fatty cob never turns his nose up at hay or any food usually, however after worming him he was a bit subdued and a bit footy. So I kept him in for another 24 hours just to monitor him, he did pick at some grass and his grub (small feed equivilant to rice cake snacks) and within 24 hours he was back to normal again.

Just keep an eye on him and he should be fine, any worries or even just for reassurance it can't hurt to phone your vet in the morning x

No, thanks Domane - I appreciate it. I've heard about some horses going footsore after it, but hadn't realised it could affect their stomachs too. So tomorrow morning will be 48 hours later - will the most dangerous time be over by then? But he could still feel a bit dicky for a much longer while couldn't he?

Oh poor Tango :cry: Why can't we get a break?! I was only doing what I was told!!

Oh sorry - two more replies while I was typing!

That sounds reassuring! I did keep him in for the day today (he's supposed to live out due to his legs) but have put him back tonight as I don't want him seizing up. He has a field shelter out too.

Have also ordered a warmer rug which I've been meaning to do for weeks.

Fingers crossed he's brighter in the morning.

I always feed straight after Shadow gets his wormer, as one time he tried to get down and roll on concrete, seconds after being wormed.. Maybe it's irritated his guts?

I've found this thread very interesting. This year I've just used Pramox on my 2.

They both get pink powder as standard and both get fed straight after being wormed. I wonder if thus is why I've not had any problems.

I also used Pramox for the first time a couple of weeks back - then spent a good week watching Dolly and the donkeys like a hawk. Fortunately they all seemed fine after it but not sure if my pessimistic mind set will allow me to use it again!:redface:

Just a thought LWTB - is it possible the hay you were offering wasnt a contaminated bale? I have had this sometimes - just one or two out of a good 100 bales or so might be flatly refused. I then take one from somewhere else in the stack and they accept it.

I just assume that at some point in the cutting, bailing and storing of it that a fox, dog, cat etc. might have peed on it? I think a fox or cat might even be smelt by us - but not sure a domestic dogs pee would be to us?

Whatever the reason I do hope Tango is fine today.:smile:

Good point C and yes I wonder if it was the contaminated bale thing too. Today, thankfully, he seems back to his normal self! Hurrah!! Apparently this morning he wouldn't eat the hay put in front of him but kicked the other 2 ponies off thiers and ate that, and they wouldn't eat his. So maybe that's all it was? I know I'll worry next time anyway!!! At least it's only once a year!

If they'll eat bucket feed & grass but not hay then the first thing I'd try would be offering hay from a different bale, & maybe offer some of the rejected stuff to another horse (LU is my guinea pig for this, if he won't eat it I know something is wrong with it, if he picks through then it's dodgy, if he eats it it may or may not be nice but it's not bad). If they were colicky from the wormer then I'd expect to see a few more signs than being off hay.

I must admit I won't use Pramox, I feel that it's too much all at once. Instead I use Panacur Guard for encysteds, Equitape for tapes at a different date & I'll give a course of pre & probiotics at the same time. I do tapes spring & autumn, not just autumn, & worm count for others. I would blood test for tapes if Jim wasn't so needle shy that taking blood samples is dangerous for him, me & the poor vet!

newrider.com