Prascend - side effects

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
Angel started on Prascend today. Any side effects to watch out for? Vet didn't mention anything but I know a few horses who reacted badly to what was then known as Pergolide?

an how long for it to take effect? or any side effects to show up?

JUlia

Haven't had any side effects yet (touch wood) and Chloe has been on it almost a year. It's perked her up no end, plus her coat has improved and mud fever symptoms. I know popularfurball's horse can't take it though - I am sure she will spot this thread and help you with some advice.

Yep within four days madam was rocked back (laminitis like), hardly able to walk through stiffness.

HOWEVER, I have this "thing" that when madam has an allergic reaction to something, it assumes her body to react to itself - and this is typified by sore feet, visibly swollen and stiff joints and finally hair loss. I think she was intolerant/allergic to it - I have been assured they have never before had laminitis induced by the medication - but be mindful. I've not come across anyone else who has had such severe reactions - being off food and miserable can be common but i think people have reported if you persist past that then significant improvement happen - some drop the dose until appetite returns.

she had the first tablet yesterday morning and was very slugglish in the afternoon (still eating though!!). a fiends arab had the sh*ts for a week after starting on pergolide ...

really hope this will help! Angel ticks so many boxes for this (although not the 'classic ones' like hairiness and sweating!) ...

PS: just got back from the yard - this morning she was LAME. more so than before?! I'll ring the vet tomorrow but for now box rest shall continue. I really don't know what to do any more :( all in all, we've had seven years of this now. two vets practices involved, a whopper insurance claim made, ticking all the boxed management-wise, sensibly fed ... argh.

can one bl*y tablet cause lameness and side effects already? is the stuff THAT strong?!

Last edited:
newrider.com