Prem- Outline?

It does help but if you're accurate and your horse is obedient and moving forward off the leg, you can get respectable scores without your horse being particularly round. I used to get 'could be rounder' a lot when I first competed my old horse, but he had lovely, active paces and that meant we weren't penalised too heavily :)

Sorry folks. To get decent marks the horse does need to be in an outline but only that appropriate to a horse starting its training. Needs to be basically round, not looking for heaps of engagement just showing that the balance is more in the hind leg and horse working over the back to a soft contact and not heavy on the forehand. The neck will be carried lower than a more advanced horse but the poll should still be the highest point most of the time. At prelim a judge will accept small variations in head position and contact as the horse is acknowledged as not being strong enough and progressed enough in its training to be any different at this stage.

If the horse is not working in an outline appropriate to the level then the max mark it should be getting is a 5

Although I haven't got to prelim yet, I would go into the test and firstly aim for nice, rythmic paces with accurate figures, then let the outline come. I think that an oultine will deffo higher marks, but I dont think it is that necessary that you are frowned upon or get really low marks for no outline at this level.

Sorry folks. To get decent marks the horse does need to be in an outline but only that appropriate to a horse starting its training. Needs to be basically round, not looking for heaps of engagement just showing that the balance is more in the hind leg and horse working over the back to a soft contact and not heavy on the forehand. The neck will be carried lower than a more advanced horse but the poll should still be the highest point most of the time. At prelim a judge will accept small variations in head position and contact as the horse is acknowledged as not being strong enough and progressed enough in its training to be any different at this stage.

If the horse is not working in an outline appropriate to the level then the max mark it should be getting is a 5

I couldn't have put it better!

For my first couple of times i was just aiming for accurate markers etc. But now im a tad more experienced, and to get over around 130, you need to be in an outline :) Hope i helped!!

Your horse doesn't HAVE to be in an outline for you to enter at any level - it depends what your expectations of the experience are- to have a go at dressage? to give your horse a new experience? or to get the highest percentage you can? or to win?

Aside from me being pedantic - this is spot on advice :)

it is ideal to be in an outline, but if the horse has good paces and is obedient and balanced it is possible to score well.
i did p4 and 7 today and got 3rd in p 7 with comments such as 'could be more relaxed and a little tense'.

it just depends on how the rest of the test goes for accuracy balance obedience etc

done two prelims his weekend and got comments like could be rounder=6 and
nose poking=5. i think it is very harsh if at a prelim you get a 5 for a pokey nose.

i aslo got a 5 for my horse not taking longer steps in walk on a long rein eventhough he streached his neck riight down. obvioulsy hes not going to get an 8 but i think a 6 for good streach no???

Echo this-when I did my first dressage test I wasnt in an outline at all as I was on a disobidient sod of a RS pony & the highest mark I got was a 5 :eek:

Pineapple - for the walk the judges like to see the horse taking the rein down and forwards and for the walk steps still to be active. Lgd put it across perfectly as to what is being looked for at this level. It can come across as a bit harsh - we've all been there, me doing a prelim test on my old lady who would not work in an outline - hence the comment "could be rounder" that appeared about 8 times on my score sheet :D

We have started offering the Intro A (and soon the B) before our Trailblazers qualifiers, they have proved really popular and ideal for starting off - perhaps not quite as intimidating for a horse and rider that haven't got contact/outline totally established?

Well I am going to have a go next year - and will have my pony's ears up my nose for the duration of the test and a few bunny hops to round it off......but this will be very local level, just for experience and I fully expect to score 0.

I will consider it a bonus if we manage to ride the movements in any vaguely recognisable fashion :eek:

I'd be over the moon with a 5 for any of it - Molly calms down and drops her head when we school for up to 5 nano seconds now, which is progress indeed :p

done two prelims his weekend and got comments like could be rounder=6 and
nose poking=5. i think it is very harsh if at a prelim you get a 5 for a pokey nose.

i aslo got a 5 for my horse not taking longer steps in walk on a long rein eventhough he streached his neck riight down. obvioulsy hes not going to get an 8 but i think a 6 for good streach no???

Pokey nose is only one element of the outline - if the horse is poking its nose it cannot be working over its back correctly and is not accepting the contact. If you apply the scales of training that means immediately that suppleness and contact elements are not met. the mark therefore cannot be more than 'Sufficient' = 5 (Satisfactory = 6) however well the rest of the movement is executed.

(Scales of training: Rhythm; suppleness; contact; impulsion; straightness; collection)

The requirements for the free walk are that the horse much reach forward and down to the contact while still maintaining roundness of the frame. The steps should be a purposeful walk in a clear 4 beat rhythm with a clear overtrack.

The commonest fault I see when judging is that riders throw the contact away for the free walk and have a loose rein. The movement states free walk on a LONG rein which means a contact must exist.

newrider.com