Preparing for war...

I'll be using MTG plus after last winters success with it, it's meant to work by making the skin more resilient to attack :)

Make sure feet are thoroughly picked out when he goes out & comes in, and make sure you clear all around the frog properly. Ensure your bed is clean & dry, and deep enough that the wet drains away leaving the top of the bed dry. I like Antibac to treat & prevent, but a friend who has a horse very prone to it has good results purple spraying clean dry feet 2 or 3 times a week - get the proper stuff, not the watered down rubbish sold in tack shops.

How odd, I came on here to ask a question about Milton for Thrush. I think Raf has a touch of it, his frogs are a bit soft and a bit smelly. I've been spraying some old Silvestrol (I think it's spelled like that?) the last couple of days, but I've had it a few years so not sure how effective it will be, although I do think his feet may have improved a bit. Anyway, someone told me I need something to dry out his feet so I thought I'd try Milton because I've seen it mentioned on here. I wondered what dilution I should use and how to use it - do I put it in a spray bottle and just spray on every day, or is it more complicated than that?

I hope Sox doesn't get it!

@Bodshi I used Milton to clear up Mouse's thrush. Diluted it in water as per the bottle instructions and soaked his feet in a bucket.

I've used sheep foot dip to help in the past.
You don't want to over use milton as it can strip too much moisture from the foot.

Thanks @joosie. How often did you do it?

Every other day to start with, then twice a week when I was starting to get on top of it, down to once a week as a maintenance thing for the rest of the winter (bearing in mind he lived out, so was never actually getting off the wet ground). 10mins at a time. To my shame I didn't catch the thrush soon enough so it was already fairly bad when I started using the Milton - as Raf's doesn't sound too bad yet I'd say soaking once or possibly twice a week would be enough, and use your other preferred products in between (I rate the Red Horse products, they worked a treat for us!).

I'm such a muppet at times, I read that as mud fever not thrush last night :p I'm on daily Milton sprays, and brush on either coconut oil & tea tree or silver feet (the former goes too hard when it's cold) the night before its meant to rain. Jess' feet are terrible for it tho, they get waterlogged and thrushy every winter for the last 4 or 5 years, this routine kept her thrush free until Xmas last year which is our best yet in a while :(

I use Milton to wash with a good hard brush to get into all the cracks then before he goes out in the morning when the feet are dry I pick them out and put tee tree oil on as it sticks better. :)

Make sure feet are thoroughly picked out when he goes out & comes in, and make sure you clear all around the frog properly. Ensure your bed is clean & dry, and deep enough that the wet drains away leaving the top of the bed dry. I like Antibac to treat & prevent, but a friend who has a horse very prone to it has good results purple spraying clean dry feet 2 or 3 times a week - get the proper stuff, not the watered down rubbish sold in tack shops.

Yes my farrier likes the purple spray. I have had good results with mine using it.

newrider.com