Pretty rubbish hack

skips and soda

Skippy Bum & Skoda Fabia
Sep 15, 2007
South West, Nr. Bath
Went for a hack today. It's my Mum's bday so had a nice morning but it all went a bit wrong. (Too long to go into details-not massively bad at all but just a silly thing that really annoyed me and I got a bit upset. Not really bad now I look back on it though).
We went out for a hack and i was still a bit upset. We were with a friend and my mum. All wanted to just go for a nice hack, well...got literally 2minutes down the road when we met a car. I turned Skippy round to go into the layby but apparently I wasn't quick enough because he started revving up and swearing at me. (I was trying to move out the way but Skips is very highly-strung and this guy was winding him up). Anyway, he started shouting abuse etc. at us and we were just telling him to stop being so impatient (politely). He kept going "It's a road, it's a road, you shouldn't be on here!" Mum just turned to him and said "Yes, we are aware it's a road, that means it's a public highway and we have just as much right to be here as you! Can't you think of anything more intelligent to say?"
Still, it was really nasty and he was so unpleasant. That was pretty horrid and then after we had gone a bit further we were going across the golf course and Skippy spooked and wouldn't move because people with golf trolley things had crossed the lane in front of us. I asked him forward and then our friend tried to get her horse to go ahead and give us a lead. Her mare got all hysterical and started running backwards and kicking out and cannoned into Skippy. Skippy panicked and ran backwards away from her. This would have been fine but on either side of the lane are these massive ditches which are about 5-6 metres high. The golf course is on a landfill site so the ditches are made up of rubbish really and if Skippy had slipped down into it he wouldn't have gotten out because it would have all crumpbled and fallen. Plus there's no knowing what was in them.
He span round and his front hooves slid down the ditch. He panicked and started struggling to get out and nearly went down. I nearly came off and was trying to get him up and out because he was seriously panicking and I knew we would be really badly hurt if he fell down there. I was going to try and get off without unbalancing him and without falling down or getting kicked myself and try and help him up but thankfully he managed to kind of jump himself out with his back legs. It was so scary though and all the golfers had come down to try and help but there wasn't really anything they could do. Thankfully we were both okay, if a little shaken. Think we shocked my Mum, her friend and the golfers more than us! Apparently it looked awful.
Skippy was, understandably, in a complete state though when we got out though and threw a bit of a fit and nearly had me off. We were okay though and once he's calmed down we had a look at him and trotted him up and he was okay. Very sweaty ad blowing though so we took him for a very gentlr, quiet hack so he didn't get too stiff etc. The rst of the hack was ok but it was pretty horrible at the beginning. To top it all off I'm feeling really ill now and have to go back to school later.
Don't really know the point of this post. Guess just wanted to share with people cos feel rubbish and really annoyed with myself that my horse got into that situation. :(:mad:

you poor poor things! How horrid :mad:- well done for continuing though - i would have been a bag of nerves! hope your next hack is calmer! x:)

Sounds like the kind of hack that the best thing to do is have a large bar of Green and Blacks and forget it. None of that was your fault. Awful, though it was you and Skips came back unscathed and had a gentle hack to finish. Hope you feel better soon, and enjoy the chocolate.;)

Oh hun poor you! What a silly man in the car, karma will get him soon :mad:

You're really brave in carrying on with the hack so you should be so proud of yourself!

*Hugs*

gosh what is this? blue sunday..? :eek::D I feel exactly the same way today and have just posted a thread along the lines of :( :( :(

What a scary experience skips&soda- hope you are both ok {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Thanks guys. Just felt a bit down and annoyed with myself for not knowing what to do. Thankfully we are both ok though I guess. Suppose at least I will have something to tell peeps at school this week! :rolleyes:
cazrider-good idea about the chocoalte! Think I may go and find some!
Thanks so much for the supprt though. Feel bit better already! :)

Last edited:
newrider.com