Prices for trimming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
How much would you expect to pay for a trim from the farrier and from a barefoot trimmer person?
Just a rough idea please?

£30 for a trim from my EP

sorry edited to say its £40 per horse but if 4 or more then he does them for £30....we have 5 horses being done each time.

Last edited:
Farriers seem to train forever don't they? Ours are great - they've been with us for a long time, and I have got to know most of the apprentices over the years. I was just curious about the prices really, I am guessing it would also depend on whereabouts you are, ie, if you are on a large yard then maybe bit cheaper - thinking of farrier travel costs etc? If they have a few to do then maybe it comes out a bit cheaper?

One of my friends, a Dip WCF went on the podiatry course. He got a cert to say he was now qualified to do "barefoot trimming"......so I sat him down and asked him to share with me the secrets that are " the barefoot trim"......he slurped his tea and told me......the secret was......now that he was a barefoot trimmer he could put his prices for a trim up from £15 to £40 a trim!

One of my friends, a Dip WCF went on the podiatry course. He got a cert to say he was now qualified to do "barefoot trimming"......so I sat him down and asked him to share with me the secrets that are " the barefoot trim"......he slurped his tea and told me......the secret was......now that he was a barefoot trimmer he could put his prices for a trim up from £15 to £40 a trim!

:redcarded:

Very good!

My farrier charges £20 for first trim and £15 thereafter. I got a quote once from an EP and they wanted £30 per trim! Shetland feet aren't that big!

was £20 for farrier - took 10mins, that was 3 years ago so don't know what it would be now, my trimmer is £45 she spends an hour, she discusses work load, assesses Panda's feet, watches her walk and trot up and down and travels from wisbech, approx 70miles.

Bare foot trimmer charged £40, farrier does it for £22 if there is more than one horse and £35 for a single.

He has done a good job this time....i had to ask for them not to be so short and she is fine, 3rd time lucky with him :dance:

I pay 45. If i had another horse i would have to have farrier as i couldnt afford it. I have to find a good one though.

Unfortunatly i think i had a bad farrier. He would come to the yard and if he wasnt watched he would rasp the edges a bit and then pack up, take his money and go. Then afterwards you'd be wondering why your pony needed another trim the day after. It was a nightmare, he never seemed to want to do any work! Maybe he thought a quick rasp on the bottom was only worth the £15?

was £20 for farrier - took 10mins, that was 3 years ago so don't know what it would be now, my trimmer is £45 she spends an hour, she discusses work load, assesses Panda's feet, watches her walk and trot up and down and travels from wisbech, approx 70miles.

Lol my trimmer is like this, i think she stays for more than an hour and we just natter about movement, feed, weight etc i have learnt so much!

Yep £35 trimmer, 15 farrier.

Trimmer takes an hour per horse (largely because mine are naughty!!).

Struggled to find a good farrier after her feet were ruined by one. Felt forced to find an alternative. If I had a good fairer in the first place I wouldn't have switched. Our trimmer is amazing with mine (very patient with madams skin/stroppy issues!) and wouldn't switch back unless we needed shoes

Farrier £15 for ponies £20 horse. I've also used a couple of barefoot trimmer and paid in excess of £40. The first one I told him I won't be needing him again, total useless full of rubbish with some bizarre views! The 2nd one was a lady, who was nice, however my horse had superb solid feet and there was often not alot to do to them, so I didnt need to pay someone £45 to be told about workload and feed which was spot in anyway! Fair enougth if your a new or and inexperienced owner and u want some advice but I felt like I was being told stuff I already knew! After that I just went back to using my farrier who was doing a damm good job in the first place!

Farrier is £24 for fronts and back. Trimmer's I've used were £45 and £50 (I left when she put her prices up to £50)

I would NEVER use a barefoot trimmer again on my horse I'm afraid, a good qualified farrier every time.

Our farrier is £20, my friends trimmer is £60, I am very happy with my farrier and have always had excellent farriers so I have probably been swayed...

I don't get the feed/workload and written report of my friends trimmer - isn't this the same as my farrier picking up her back legs and going -"are you getting out riding much at the moment?" or "her feet have improved have you changed your feed?" and likewise if I need to do something.. I mean it's small talk isn't it? - he checks these things in between asking about my Christmas shopping - I certainly wouldn't want to pay £40 more for the pleasure of having it written down for me!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newrider.com