problem applying pig oil and sulpher

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
My cob has thick feathers and lots of trouble with mites this year he has had 2 injection to rid them but still problem vet recommended clipping we tried several times even used a gel from the vet to sedate him but as soon as clippers started up he came round and went mad aghhhh!!! I eventually had to pay vet to come out and sedate him properly but this is not ideal as they grow so quickly he is very nervous and after so many years i dont think he is going to get any better. So back to pig oil and sulpher but as soon as I start applying with my little wash up liquid bottle when the liquid goes on his legs he jumps about, does anyone know if it stings or anything if he has scabs or bites from mites or is he just being silly

I use pig oil and sulphur on my cob and as far as i know it doesn't sting him. My cob is petrified of clippers too so i tend to take a pair of scissors to his feathers. I only cut the layer underneath though and leave the top long, i don't use a squirty bottle to apply it, i put it in my hand and massage it in to his feathers, i think my cob would jump about if i used a squirty bottle to apply it too.

Can you see if he's got any scabs or anything going on that might be causing it to nip?
I'm not sure if the sulphur nips, I can't imagine the pig oil would nip. Maybe try some baby oil on its own to see if it renders the same reaction? Or simply some warm water applied in the same way?
I find my boy dances about a wee bit, but he's a fidget and doesn't like the tickling feeling of me applying it or rubbing it in. I cheat a bit I'm afraid, I have to get domesedan gel from the vet for our farrier visits (its stronger than sedalin and equivalent to what they inject if the vet attends himself)so whenever he's drugged up for that, I apply pig oil as well.

Mind you, I thought sudocrem was quite soothing so who am I to comment!I applied it to a graze on my knee the other weekend and nearly hit the roof. Not so sure now.

My fella dances about a bit too, but having applied it with cuts on my hands I am pretty sure it doesn't sting, I think my horse has just got into the habit of dancing about like a tit! He doesn't do it so much when I use an old hoof oil brush. I only use a washing up liquid bottle in winter when I need a good soaking of it

Izzy is usually good with anything like that but HATES having pig oil and sulphur on. I have give him a bucket of readigrass and suddenly it is no problem at all:wink:

Don't think it stings but Izzy hates his fronts doing more than his hinds so I think it might be the smell that he objects to. But tbh I wouldn't really like slimy oil rubbed into my legs like that either. Needs must though.

It is weird that he will stand without a head collar to have his face clipped but needs to be bribed or cross tied to have a bit of oil put on his feather.

Yes it does nip their legs. If there are open wounds it stings. I would just apply the pig oil personally as I do this with my cob and works just the same as the one with added sulphur.

Have you tried hand clippers for his legs? No vibration :smile:

Mine is the same. I think it is the smell of the sulphur. I put it on and actually he doesn't have any scabby bits or anything, but if I use the po and sulphur together he moves around all the time.

Just the pig oil and he is fine.

So unless yours has mudfever or mites, just use the pig oil - much less stressy!

My cob has just had her feathers shortened ready for winter. I shorten the underneath and leave top long as someone has said. She likes her legs being itched and massaged, so hopefully if i need to pop anything on she will be ok.
Is normal oil ok then or baby oil-or is this going to block pores and stop skin breathing.

newrider.com