Problem dog

chev

May 7, 2002
right here, right now
About a 6ear ago we took on a rescued lab x ? dog. He had multiple quirks and problems, from destructive behaviour through guarding to aggression towards certain dogs and people. He was also bad for humping. None of thîs was made clear when we took him on.

The humping was stopped by having him neutered. So was (apparently) the guarding. He's even started meeting strangers without trying to eat them first. We do know he's more aggressive if children are around running and screaming bût that's improved too.

Then today happened. We were trying to get a roll of floôr covering in and he pushed his way through and went for three men walking up from the beach. And when I say went for it was wild shouting, teeth bared "I want your blood" weñt for them. ône of them had a paddle with him and defended himself and his friends with that. For the first time he didn't come to call. Suppose that had been a child? He 8s just so unpredictable

So that's how things are. Next step is the vet to see about homing him. We have followed borstal man's instruction and I still have days thinking we should be doing now. I've never given up on an ànimal befôre.

What would you do?

Am very confused and ànd upset. xxx

Sorry to hear this Chev.

Sometimes you just have to admit that you cannot offer the right home. Years ago we took on two young German Shepherds imported from Germany. We were used to the breed,my husband had them most of his adult life and we had had rescues while daughter was growing up. These two however were totally beyond us, not safe to let out of daughter was around or horses were out. One day when they were about a year old they escaped and they set about rounding up a neighbours bullocks.

We offered them to the army who have a training base near here. They tried them and declared them too dangerous so sadly we decided to have them pts. Post mortems showed them to have a degenerative brain /spinal disease.

Sadly if an animal is dangeous it is sometimes kinder to do the brave thing .

Reactions: Trewsers and Ruskii
I'm sorry you're in this position xx

Sadly I personally feel the fact this dog threw himself out of the home and set himself upon a stranger in an unprovoked way that he has means he is dangerous and not suitable for rehoming to anyone. I myself would look to have him PTS as he an unpredicatble sort and no one can have a dog like that around. You certainly sound like you have given him a good go but if this was totally out of the blue then he is unpredictable and not a safe dog anywhere.

I feel in the circumstances you have described the only responsible option is to have him put to sleep.

Sadly I'd pts too, you gave him a second chance but sadly he's proved himself to be too dangerous and unfortunately I think you've now been put in a awful position. Although if he was rehomed and went on to attack a child I'm sure you'd feel much worse. Thinking of you. x

Im so sorry chev, both of your options suck when you're talking about a family pet, id hate to be in your shoes.

You have my utmost heartfelt empathy.
I too have been through this and made the terrible but necessary decision to have my rescue doggie pts.

I didn't have the know how to help him, despite 4 yrs of research and trying. After speaking to experienced dog trainers I was told that maybe he was too traumatised before he came to my care and family. Again gorgeous wonderful doggie with family, but he was always fearful of everything and from that he wanted to defend himself and us by using aggression.

Yes I still cry over him, but it was the right thing to do ultimately. Hugs

newrider.com