Problem getting leg in the right position

Styric

Rawr!!
Jul 15, 2005
Manitoba, Canada
styric.no-ip.org
Well, this is going to be difficult to explain.

First, an introduction as this is my first post ever :) I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and I ride a green 10 year old bullheaded standardbred/quarterhorse cross I'm working on the basics for hunter/jumpers.

Picture

I know, green at 10 years old doesn't go so well together, but he's exceptionally smart (unfortunately some days). Due to the bullheadedness, we've just recently switched to a new coach, a CEF level II western coach named Wendy to get my riding up to snuff as I'm heavy on the hands (he's a puller, and so am I) and too light on the leg.

Today was my first lesson with her, and she pointed out my legs were on the girth and too forward, but when I shifted them back to the proper location my right hip seemed to lock in its socket. It was like it jammed in the rotation and couldn't go any further and was excruciating... but when I removed my leg, and shook it out then put it back where it used to be, no pain. I shifted the leg back again, and nothing happened and I could ride. This happened twice.

When I was born, that leg was actually rotated 90 degrees sideways and my foot pointed straight to the right. I saw a chiro and did gymnastics when I was 5 to get it pointed the right direction, and I've never had a problem since... but I keep thinking this might have something to do with the hip.

Is it possible that my leg may over-rotate somehow in its socket? It IS almost a 110 degree change from what I was born with... or is it my fitness level? Are there any stretches I can do to alleviate the pain?

I'm stocky, but decently in shape and my legs and thighs are rock hard from riding and kung fu. My saddle fits properly and it happened both with and without stirrups.

I figure I'm going to go see a chiro or physiotherapist, but I'm still interested in what any of you think.

If it IS my hip joint, and not my fitness level, what are my chances of making it anywhere? I'm planning on competing in combined training eventually and want to go as high as I can.

Any input would be appreciated!

uhm..

Hmm - thats a new one :p

Well, I think that you should have no problem getting to reach your goal - because you have the right attitude, you know what you want and you are willing to work for it. Great! You have a high chance of going far :p

As for your leg - hmm . . I cant say I have head of that before, but I am sure it is fixable. Maybe you need to get the muscle stretched BEFORE riding :p Do some yoga/palatties or something so you feel all "lose" in the legs *ehe feels wierd when stretched then you ride*. This may help :)

Good luck

It may be worth seeing a physio/sports therapist about some specific stretches for your hips/riding. Yoga and Pilates are great and will help you a lot but are more 'generic' so may not get the results that you're looking for.

Is there any change in your leg position when you ride without stirrups? Looking at your pic you do look as though your weight is more to the left though that could be a) the point at which the pic was taken or b) as a result of your hip problem. If it's just that your weight is a bit 'off' then that won't be helping you to get your leg in the right position.

I've straightened the pic up a bit so you can see what I mean:

44a43f87.jpg

It could also be that the stirrup bar positioning isn't helping your position! Most saddles have the stirrup bars set too far forwards so that we have to actively pull them back to get our legs in the correct position. I bought Heather Moffett's SBS treeless saddle and though it took my hips a while to stretch I find that my position has improved enormously (her saddle has set back stirrup bars which mean that the stirrup is in the correct place) and I'm a lot more stable. I've probably not explained that very well! Look at the 'Kinder Way' which you can get to from the home page of this site or check out Heather's website (http://www.enlightenedequitation.co.uk) and her book.

With regards to what you can do even if this is a problem that can't be solved (though I do feel that some kind of physical therapy will help as none of us are as flexible as we could be) there is absolutely no reason that you can't aim for your goals. You obviously have a good mindset and have come so far already. All the best with your goals :D

Actually, I was riding on a hill :) The picture is even, it's terrain that's not!

The weight thing may still apply.. I dont know honestly, where I live it's so flat that the hill surprised me when I arrived at the show.

Here's the fullsized picture.

I have been thinking that the stirrups definetly dont help, it felt like they were tugging me forward. Going to switch to my mother's dressage saddle and try that :) I dont have the money to do any huge switch, but if it is recommended by the physiotherapist, I may be able to pull it off.

Is there any change in your leg position when you ride without stirrups?

Yeah, actually. I used to be so much more comfortable without stirrups. Before I got Chevy, I rode an Arabian that had issues with bend and a high head. When jumping or working on the flat, if I had any balance issues or obedience problems, I would kick my stirrups off and sort it out that way. I get a better feel, my entire body stretches out and I naturally take a longer than 'accepted' outline (I like to stretch my thigh down and softly wrap my legs around the horse). I was told to pick up those stirrups and stop it because it's better that I learn to use stirrups than learn to ride without them. I forgot alot of what I learned, but I'm still much more comfortable without them.

When I drop them on Chevy, it's like night and day.. my horse softens and rounds, I feel comfortable and he starts chewing on the bit and listening to my leg, but when I picked up the stirrups (which were adjusted properly by a few people lol, I was suspicious) I instantly felt dragged forward, and as a result dont engage the leg like I should, his head goes up and he pulls like a freight train.

On another note, about those pictures.. you wouldn't believe how the people made fun of me for my stocky gelding with the big head. Apparently he stuck out like a sore thumb with all the imported German warmbloods around here... :p

Kicked the pants off half of them in his crossrail class on his second show in total, first show outside and first time EVER jumping anything that looked mildly like brush. He had a minor moral crisis when he figured out they weren't edible though..

Thanks for your responses, I'm going to head to the chiropractor next week and see what they say. Going to see if I can find the one that handles both humans and horses around here, he may have some insights.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem...

I have a problem where i put my legs too far back and i've been riding for over ten years and am only now being taught to ride with them in the correct place. I have a hip problem, where my hip socket is not the correct shape and i can jump my leg partly out of its socket. Now i have been starting to slowly ride with my leg in a better position amd it absolutely killed at first but slowly im working different muscles and its slowly getting better. So maybe if you can just try working your legs in the right position for a few seconds then bring them back to how you prefer them and do that a few times while you ride and gradually do it for a tiny bit longer each time then slowly you'll work you muscles and adapt them to work in the right position. Its working for me but it's taking time, but no problems with horses and ridding ever cure themselves over night!

newrider.com