problem with my foster fear or real aggression

stormy's mum

horseless
Feb 2, 2006
co
hi i foster for the shelter and i recently have acquired a lab shr pei mix. he is very sweet sometimes but when someone comes to the door or exits the room he barks and growls while going forward then retreating. he doesnt try to snap or stare people down but im worried he would bite if approched. does this sound like a fear problem or a territorial issue
thanks

sounds like fear agression, if he was agressive he would just bite them, my wee lurcher would have been like this when we first got him, but now its developed into agression, with men and teens!
A behaviourist should advice what action to take:)

Our American Bulldog is like that - Although sound after he's seen people a few times. He was nervous when we got him...

Whats he like in open spaces with people? Eg, if you dad came up to him in a field? Sometimes its only when they feel threatened.... ?

Another thing, do people look at him in the eyes? When someone new comes round now, they do not look at my dog in any way at all.... he'll eventually come up and sniff them and then he's ok! I also dont speak to my dog at ALL whilst he's doing the barking/growling thing as that is positive reinforcement and they'll see it as the right thing to do.

Your dog might react differently to mine, but mine has deffo improved with folllowing the above...

wish you all the best with him xx

He is fine unless there is a noise he doesn't like. i think something happened to him in the past because he is afraid of sudden noise or unexpected movement. i started by having my dad kneel down and wait for nova to approach him and then when he does feed him treats. its working so far and he has gotten better but if he's going to make a service dog he has to get a lot better. also he is not looked in the eye as that is a threat to dogs

newrider.com