Problems Using Photobucket with NR

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
I always used photobucket for posting my pics on NR. I had my NR user name there (i.e. kept my alias) but NR is now rejecting links, even tho my post and its pic come up fine in the preview.

Is the only pic option now to upload to NR?

I have been trying to take further the discussion of brakes on Norwegian and Russian sledge harness. I had intened to post pics last winter to get comments from Wally and Gimp and other knowledgeable people. I took several photos last summer and have not wanted to upload them to NR in case I lost or infringed copyright.
Now I have just uploaded a pic to photobucket to show Frances and am defeated.

The error message when I try to post says the link may be too long, but it never used to be. Any help or advice please.

I can't help with Photobucket. I gave up on our a while ago because it got so very slow and I never worked out how to find the link when I uploaded things from my phone instead of the PC.

I now have an app called Resizer on my phone so I reduce the size of my pics and upload directly.

Actually, fom memory I don't think you have an Androis phone do you, Skib, so I think my whole post is worthless to you..... sorry!

I fell out with photobucket years ago, it wasn't NR at fault, but anyway long story short I decided to try and post from the ipad and it's much easier. However, sometimes pics are too big and it will not allow them onto the site. The easiest way I have found is to take photos from my Nokia Lumia and send them to my email address. Then click and open and save to the ipad and then for some weird reason unbeknown to me it will almost certainly mean NR accepts them. Not sure if that helps - but might be worth you trying something similar.

Just wanted to add - the method I describe may also work on a normal pc. It may not just be on the ipad - I've never tried it. Though usually making pictures smaller (without completely ruining the effect) also works.

I don't use Photobucket any more either - because the adverts slow it down so much and I don't altogether trust it any more, I'm always worried about malware with all these ads. But I just experimentally uploaded an old photo with no problem (I've deleted the post now). Is it the link that is too long rather than the picture that is too big? I do remember Photobucket once had a habit of sort of wrapping the link in extra text - almost as though it had duplicated itself by doing a link around the link - when I copied it, so when I pasted it onto NR I had to delete the extra text around the actual link.

Yes it isnt the pic size that is a problem. It is the link name generated by photo bucket.
You are correct too that it looks as if it is all there twice, but when I deleted the extra bits, I lost the pic altogether.
All the remarks about photobucket, I agree with and thanks for experimenting for me Bodshi.

By the way, I do use Android phones but this is about getting a pick from my computer. In light of this help I will try again.

Thanks Bodshi - I too was getting the whole thing twice over , once as URL and again as image. I took your advice and removed the first part of the address and just pasted in the image bit. Didnt use the NR Image button either.

I have removed the image from this thread now and put it where I hoped it would go. And will try to add some others. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com