professional schooling

LunaRose

Apr 10, 2010
Just so I know that I have considered every option. How much would it approximately cost to have a horse professionally schooled so that he was a safe novice ride? What sort of time frames would be realistic if a professional was schooling him?

How long is a piece of string? depends on the horse but 6-12 weeks at £100 - £150 pound per week is what i paid to have my first mare broken and schooled.She was away 8 weeks in total.She was almost boombproff when she came back and was schooled for a novice to ride her.

See if you can get a more experienced person to ride and school in exchange for sharing him. Some people enjoy the challenge :D

Would schooloing make him a safe novice ride?

I say this because I think that my mare would certainly be better if she were properly schooled but she'll never be a safe novice ride!

If I were going to have her schooled then I'd have someone come to us (no livery fees then, just fee for riding) 3 times a week for 6 weeks.

When i was pregnant i thought about sending Niquita away. The cost of that was £400 a month. Then id also have to pay to keep my Box at my Yard or leave my Yard and hope to find somewhere for her coming back. At £400 a month i couldnt afford livery for nothing on top of her schooling fees. So i decided to Loan her for my pregnancy. Turns out the girl done nothing with her. Also agree well schooled doesnt = Novice ride. I think maybe youd have to asses his temprement hack him out and what not to see how hes going to be. If hes got everything else your looking for perhaps Schooling would be an option. Also noticed in your other post you just want something to love and look after...have you thought about getting a more experienced sharer in for him? they could do alot of the riding and schooling and you could do the bits and pieces that you enjoy? Just another thing worth thinking of? Or maybe getting someone to come to your yard to ride him rather than send him away? All the best .

I also think you could be better having someone come to you. This means that the horse is worked within the environment and terrain you have, and that you can be part of things and learn from watching etc.

My instructor (who is mobile and comes to the horse) is riding Arns for me as part of my lessons. She charges £40 an hour and is worth every penny.

However, I do think that you have to realistically assess whether your horse has the basic nature and temperament to make the two of you a good match.

Have just read your other thread and I really feel for you.

Only you can make a decision on how to proceed but there is no shame in admitting that a horse is just not the one for you, nor you the human for him.

In fact it can sometimes be the very best thing you can do all round.

As long as you take every care to find him a good and more suitable home then you have still improved his life for him, which is a lot more than many people do.

Doesn't mean there isn't a horse out there who would be your perfect family freind.

Good Luck whatever you decide :)

People can work with your horse to make it more used to things around and more obediant but they cannot change a horses basic temperament. A sensitive or sharp horse will never become a 'safe novice ride'. Many safe RS horses are demons in disguse and outside the confines of a school or without regular work and experienced handling would never be 'novice rides'.

Totally agree with Joyscarer - somebody could school my Storm till they were blue in the face and she would look lovely and go well, BUT, she would never ever be a safe, ploddy, bombproof hack /ride for a novice.
I have seen other threads you've posted about this - what does your current riding instructor think?

Agree with the comments and would also add that breaking and schooling a horse is very different to life's experiences;). Riding on roads, going first and last in company, riding in large groups, meeting lots of different objects etc etc. For this you need a confident rider who will give leadership to the young horse. Yes you can pay for someone to do this for you but do not forget being young he maybe fine for the more experienced rider but pick up on nerves/lack of confidence from someone less experienced. Temperament of the horse is also another big deciding factor.

newrider.com