Proffesional sheath cleaners.

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
So I've owned my boy 8 years and never cleaned his sheath. I did try but didn't know what I was doing really. Lately he's been hanging it out alot so wondered if he's uncomfortable and thought I would get someone out who knows what they are doing!

Tell you what the people at work had a good giggle overhearing the phone call.

One of them said to me 'you never buy any clothes or things for yourself or get your haircut, but you pay to get your horse a professional willy wash?!'

Well when you put it like that I suppose it is a little ridiculous haha

Anyway has anyone used a company before, how did you find it? At least this way it's an extra pair of hands as Ale isn't the most co operative!

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
I’ve bought my first gelding and not looking forward to this bit at all.
He is due his teeth done in a couple of weeks and may need to be sedating depending on what needs doing. If he does I’m going to ask my vet to do it for me so I can watch and learn.

Yes I did use a lady for both our geldings - I saw her advertised on FB as the equine winky washer. Some people on the yard thought it was ridiculous to pay for a task I should be able to do myself but to be honest although I've always found Jack quite straightforward, I'm never sure how to do Raf. I can't get my hand up his sheath because there's something blocking the way - I thought it must be his enormous hooha, but the winky washer explained that it's just a fold of skin that I have to push out of the way, which I thought was decent of her.

For some reason Jack, who is normally very wary of strangers with intent, knew what she was up to as soon as she walked into his stable with her bucket and he 'assumed position' with legs spread at the ready. Although it was because he'd been dropping his willy and kicking at it that I'd got out the winky washer, he turned out to be quite clean, whereas Raf had a couple of beans.

I'm glad I got her out and I will have her again. She didn't charge much and for my own peace of mind and the sake of not having stinky hands I'd sooner do that than faff about up there myself not knowing if I was doing any good. What's more, other people on the yard are now trying to get appointments with her, so it wasn't such a stupid idea after all lol.

I can’t understand why folk would pay for it but you lot are proving me wrong. But I pay for dentist vet back woman saddle check and farrier. I ain’t paying to have someone clean what is the most dirtiest disgusting willy ever every eight weeks. I’d be bankrupt!

You’re all missing out on one of the most amazing bonding opportunities. :p

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
There are some very explicit and fully illustrated instructions in one of John Lyons books which I bought in the USA and embarrassingly found myself reading on an internal flight!
I have always ridden mares Ale, so havent done it, but the geldings were cleaned at our yard and you just need ask around your yard and get someone who does it to show you how.
When I started to ride i was scared of horses' feet and I particularly had a lesson in how to pick them up and make myself do it. So bearing in mind your relationship with Ale, I would be hands on and learn to do it yourself.

I have been debating getting someone to do the little boys, I have always done my own geldings bits but don't have girly hands and their bits are that bit smaller than most :p

I do P's after a year or so of him trying to cave my skull in for going anywhere near the area we worked on it and hes ok with me going there now which is good, not just for washing but also because of fly bites or anything else that needs an eyekept on it, i just wash once a year with warm water, couldnt find a willywasher here, if i could id get them to do it because i am not a fan of doing it! Makes me feel ill lol

newrider.com