PROKALM - If you are following the DavidH thread please read this - thanks

perkypinky

Nov 13, 2007
I have just heard from the owner of Science Supplements who has been reading the thread about his product.
he is concerned that people are speculating that it may be a drug called 'PROKALM' or 'PROCALM'
This product is not related in any way to either of these but is a herbal based and legal.

thanks

Confusing!
As far as I understand it the calmer we are talking about is called Prokalm, but there is also a drug called Prokalm http://www.chemindustry.com/chemicals/767400.html and I assume the 2 are not related which is where the concern from Science Supplements has come from :)

But of course I could be totally wrong and just even more confused than I thought lol!

Actually that makes sense. Maybe if there was more info on their website no-one would be confused!

As a word of semi-professional advice to them - maybe use the comments from the threads to help them? There is nothing on their website (if there is, it isn't immediately available and no-one should have to dig round a site to find information) that explains that there might be a mix-up/no affiliation and generally speaking when thinking of a name for a product you normally do due diligence to find other products that might either be the same or similar. If only to cover their own backs should PROKALM or PROCALM (if not the product that Science Supplements manufacture) decide to take issue with it - which potentially they could as all these items seem to so the same job (albeit different species).

If they were to list ingredients on the website then it might have cleared up a few questions that I know I had (which is why I questioned it). Surely if they want to protect the recipe then they can apply for a patent, but there is nothing to stop them listing the items :confused:

Sorry if this has caused a problem, but this is one of my bug bears that companies provide little information - especially about a product that clearly works - and then get a little defensive when people start asking questions. If the answers are there, then people don't need to ask!

"Herbal", doesn't mean it is not a drug.
Whilst there will be a small handful of horses that this sort of product could help, I'd personally be concerned about putting my horse on any sort of anti-anxiety drug to modify it's behaviour :confused:
There seem to be a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon to try this stuff, when their horses issues could best be managed without resorting to drugs :confused:

It would certainly be helpful, and less confusing, if science supplements stated what was in it rather than what was not :rolleyes:

Blimey - so they've decided to name their nice easy herbal calmer, after an outdated seventies tranquiliser with bad side-effects ! Bit of a potential marketing error there. That is a pity. Of course they can't divulge their recipe - people would just go along and try to recreate the effect without paying for the overhead of the R&D that's gone into it.

Do you know if it is available in the US perkypinky ?

I have just heard from the owner of Science Supplements who has been reading the thread about his product.
he is concerned that people are speculating that it may be a drug called 'PROKALM' or 'PROCALM'
This product is not related in any way to either of these but is a herbal based and legal.

thanks

maybe if he is reading this he could come on and reply to the questions people have about it.

"Herbal", doesn't mean it is not a drug.
Whilst there will be a small handful of horses that this sort of product could help, I'd personally be concerned about putting my horse on any sort of anti-anxiety drug to modify it's behaviour :confused:
There seem to be a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon to try this stuff, when their horses issues could best be managed without resorting to drugs :confused:

It would certainly be helpful, and less confusing, if science supplements stated what was in it rather than what was not :rolleyes:

I think the point is that they are saying it's not the anti-anxiety drug that people were mentioning before?? Obviously like you say being herbal doesn't mean it's not a drug in some sense,but is not the actual anti-anxiety drug that was written up on a chemist site.I don't think anyway??

In regards to the use of calmer,I'm fairly sure that most people do make the effort to 'modify the horses behaviour' in other way's,but think you have to remember a lot of people will be using it specifically for issues like excitment at shows and anxiety loading.These are not everyday problems or problems that a lot of people have the facilites or opportunity to sort out,so maybe the use of a calmer makes sense in these circumstances??

Even people take medications or herbal supplements for things that make them anxious but not on an every day basis,and things they don't get the opportunity to manage another way,(flying springs to mind),no-body would have an issue with that would they?? Don't really see that this is any different TBH,means to an end and all that.

Blimey - so they've decided to name their nice easy herbal calmer, after an outdated seventies tranquiliser with bad side-effects ! Bit of a potential marketing error there. That is a pity. Of course they can't divulge their recipe - people would just go along and try to recreate the effect without paying for the overhead of the R&D that's gone into it.

But there is nothing stopping someone from buying it and running tests on it to find the ingredients and the ratios it is in. There are ways to protect products from being recreated in an open market and still be able to list the active ingredients...

yeah - but it makes it more difficult for the average run-of-the-mill owner. I mean me, ferinstance. I feed SilverLining's mix for ulcers - but I also looked up the herbs that are used in it, and I grow them seperately for the horse to browse on. It's kind of cheating. If you have spent a whole lot on R&D, you have to try to protect your investment as much as you can - if you couldn't, nobody would do the research !

Yes, how silly:p. Of all the words in the english language to pick one that would be so confusing.

Definitely!!! I would have considered trying it but i wont without knowing whats in it :rolleyes:

I can see your point but realistically,you probably use things every day that you don't know what's in it,and if you knew what was in it,there is a strong chance that it wouldn't mean much to you (and most of the rest of us!!) anyway.

I am guessing it would not be licensed unless it had gone through strict quality control measures etc??

I would also out of curiousity like to have an idea what I am feeding neddie,but if I needed a clamer I wouldn't hesitate to use this one,anymore than I would to use any other calmer.

Perhaps it's because this one actually seems to work that we are all so suspicious lol;):p

yeah - but it makes it more difficult for the average run-of-the-mill owner. I mean me, ferinstance. I feed SilverLining's mix for ulcers - but I also looked up the herbs that are used in it, and I grow them seperately for the horse to browse on. It's kind of cheating. If you have spent a whole lot on R&D, you have to try to protect your investment as much as you can - if you couldn't, nobody would do the research !

True...Does the grow your own way work for you? Have to say I'm impressed :D

The thing with copying is it wouldn't be the everyday horse owner like the majority, if not all of us on here - it would the race yards, polo strings etc that would invest the money to recreate...look what happened with the polo ponies :(

They could go for the Red Bull approach and openly list the ingredients and ratios (no patent on Red Bull from the off and it still retains a 70% market share!) :D

Last edited:
newrider.com