Proud moment...

nat17

Minnie, Sam and Dolly
May 30, 2002
Cotswolds
Visit site
I bought Dolly, unseen and unhandled last May and its been hard work teaching her to be caught, have a headcollar on, leading, and feet being picked up and picked out etc.

Today was the farrier's 2nd visit, on her first visit Dolly had her front feet trimmed but not rasped but that was it...

Today... all 4 feet trimmed and rasped... :biggrin::bounce::dance::dance:

I couldn't be prouder and I am still grinning... she did brilliantly :biggrin:

Consistency pays off:angel:

Well done Dolly! Forgive my ignorance, but how come she's only had them done once since last May? Do they not grow very much? (I am not clued up at all on young 'uns!!)

She was un-handled T, so couldn't be caught let alone have feet trimmed. However her feet naturally self trimmed all summer and it was only when the wet came and the ground went soft that they started to get long, but by then we had the first trim... :happy:

She was un-handled T, so couldn't be caught let alone have feet trimmed. However her feet naturally self trimmed all summer and it was only when the wet came and the ground went soft that they started to get long, but by then we had the first trim... :happy:

Oh wow, that's interesting - so what a fabulous good girl she has been then:happy: I'll bet your farrier was impressed too!!! I had no idea she was un-handled to that tune. What a project then!

i've had Suze nearly a year and we haven't even got close to trying her feet! however now she is walking out in hand, hopefully she will self trim as well!

Well done Dolly.

Its lovely when that bond goes a step further.

I know I had feet trouble and lost a trimmer, but she is a poppet now.

Yours sounds like they have naturally good feet.

What a little superstar she is, that is huge progress from virtually feral to trusting enough to have her tootsies done. But then she is a 'Dolly' isn't she?:biggrin:

Its so nice sharing it with you ladies as OH does not really see why I am so happy, he tries but as with everyone who gets semi feral or badly handled ponies, you worry that they may never 'come right' don't you?

My goals for Dolly were to be happy to be caught, lead around the field, brushed and have her feet trimmed, that is all until she is 4! We got there so it is satisfying. I couldn't have done any of it if it was not for my wonderful RA though, she has made it work for us both.

She does have a lot to live up to with that name, I was hoping she didn't have a name when I got her but she did so I had to keep it of course, and I also hoped she lived up to Saint Dolly!

She does have very good feet NF, so much so that the farrier needed more leverage to clip the back ones as they are that strong!

Well done there in nothing like the experience you share when weeks often months of patience comes to fruition - shes a a mare and ime you have to ask no ammount of telling will get the best result - you did right not to rush her - you will reap the rewards soon enough - you are finding that out -

That is absolutely fab and full credit to you. Unhandled previously, it is all down to you - although I do remember someone being very stressy that they had done the wrong thing getting her!!!!

Dolly will probably be your horse in a million. Lucky Dolly, she has fallen on all four hooves.

Lol, Sally, I still have those thoughts some days:biggrin:

True words Lemme, we only ask:angel:

And for Jane... a snowy Dolly a few weeks ago

DSC_0193_zps2d621f2a.jpg

It is very good education for the rest of us who dont have young ones, to learn from reports like this how you tame and teach your horse.
Looking at the two together do you think they have any way of knowing how they match in appearance?

newrider.com