Proud mum moment and some advise please

Clare-22

Apr 30, 2005
Berkshire
Having a bit of a proud mum moment and wanted to share :D

For the last few weeks I have been doing some work getting Loki used to the clippers, as working him in the evenings as I do, usually means clipping is unavoidable.

With the mild weather we have been having, I have been struggling to keep comfortable, light weight rug on too hot, rug off too cold first thing and last thing. As I said in my panicy post mid week I made the decision to leave the rug off, and after a few days he had dropped the little big of weight we had managed to get on him, trouble was when I turn him out at 6am it is quite chilly and again when he comes in at around 6ish it has again turned chilly. So decided I was going to have to test my homework and clip him, so I could rug him comfortable and also he was getting very sweaty doing hardly anything

He was a star :D just me, him, clippers and a haynet and we did it, I had never clipped before so it wasn't the most smartest clip in the world to put it mildly ;) but I clipped my own horse and it wasn't a big deal! My friend kindly tidied it up for me and helped me with the tricky bits. So here is our first haircut together

Loki Oct 1.jpg

Loki Oct.jpg

Now for the advise bit. I have been getting a fair bit of hassle from the YO and her friend about his weight. Now this has been going on for a while and when it started I wasn't worried about his weight and when my vet came out to vacinate him he said he was fine.

Now I know he has dropped weigh this week with me messing around with his rugs. My instuctor is adamant that he is just very immature and will be scawny for a while, and we don't want to get him with too much weight as he is physically weak, she actually said last Tuesday that he had put weight on in the week between our lessons and at that time I too was happy with his condition.

At the moment he is on a scoop of hifi and half a scoop of county cubes for dinner and 1/4 of each for breakfast, he gets between 2 and 3 sections of hay when he comes in about 6pm at night. You can see from the pictures above that you can not see his ribs, but he could do with a touch more condition. I don't want to pack him full of hard feed and the problems that come with it, but I am considering changing him onto a type of conditioning feed, but am worried I am going to hot him up. At the moment he is active but sensible so I think he is getting the right nutrition.

Here is a picture of him when I first got him

Wek 2 - 3.JPG

and this was taken today

Loki Oct 2.jpg

I think he has definately improved, and steady and surely putting condition on is better I am sure, but I think all the bitching from YO has got me worried. Do you think he is looking in need of a change to conditioning feed? He is fully wormed but I am wondering whether to get the vet to blood test him after what Dee and Cooper have been through, but am still paying off my vet bills from his last adventure, of course if he needs a vet he will get one but am I worrying too much? What do you think?

Hi Clare

Great clip, fab photo from today - and, I'm not the world's greastest expert - but he looks in fantastic condition to me:p

With the work you are doing with him, and the amount of care you put in to looking after him, I'll bet he's going to mature and be even more handsome than he already is:D

People around you will always have their opinions, for some reason the horse world is full of unsolicited ones, but you are doing the best by your boy, and
little examples like him coping with the horror of clippers like a walk in the park should prove that to you.

I think he looks amazing:p :D

I think he looks great :D
is he in all night? in which case I would give an extra haynet if you want to up his weight a tad,
when Pickle is looking a bit scrawny I always feed him "marksway barley plus" (yellow bag blue flower thing picture on) it is micronised so has very little starch content compared to normal barley, its great for getting any weight on and i have no problems with any fizz, I have fed him quite large quantities of it too :D though just be aware some horses can have a skin reaction to Barley feeds.

Well done with the clipping clare - looks like you did a good job and you're right to be proud.

Don't know too much about condition and feed (being a new mum myself ;) ) but I think he looks fine at the moment, definately much better than when you got him.

Thanks guys that makes me feel better, :eek: I have just upped his hay portion so hopefully we are on the right track, I will keep any eye on him and if he seems to drop anymore I will look into the conditioning feeds.

Well done on your clip, not surprised you're so pleased with him! Don't suppose you fancy coming to do Forrest ;)

And I personally think he looks fine weight wise, definitely not underweight! He lacks muscle etc but that's to be expected due to him being young and unschooled and that takes time to build, I bet he'll be looking super fab in 6 months time :D

Last edited:
Fab clip Clare!

He is similar to Cooper in that he has nice shoulders, no ribs showing now but needs to develop a butt and muscle along his back - but that will be through schooling / exercise and feed and not just one or another as you well know.

Loki is much finer than Coops - probably more thoroughbred in him.

What about trying haylage instead of hay?

It is also coming up to sugarbeet/speedibeet time so that way he can have more fibre calories rather than hard feed.

It is weird that you are getting the bitching about him being underweight and not feeding enough and I couldn't get mine to fine Coops enough
fragend013.gif
Horsey people, eh?

The worms could be an issue - does he have a similar history to Cooper?
smiliewormanimal-smiley-075.gif

Try your current plan for a few weeks just to see.

He's beautiful! Very, very jealous as he's just gawjus. You're taking such good care of him and nice clip job!

N

hey

i think you have done a great job with his clip :)

i cant believe people are bitching about his weight:eek: , weight wise he looks absouly fine, could do with a bit more muscle but that will come from more riding rather than more feed.

i think people these days are just to used to seeing obese horses and then when they see a horse at its correct weight they think he/she is under weight.

he looks Great well done you :) :p

lozzie an pinxx

Thanks for your kind comments, it is so nice to hear others think he progressing as I do :) Slowly and surely is the way I have always planned to bring him on and I am sticking to my guns :D

Dee I have tried on him haylage but it went straight through him unfortuantly, so he is now back on hay. We don't really know about his history, we think he came from Ireland, to Wales and then to the dealers, we think he definately hadn't had much care in his early life.

I really can't take credit for the clip, as my friend did a really good job of tidying my attempt up :p

He is beee-uuuuu-ttttiiiii-ful; don't let anybody tell you otherwise hun - he's a credit to you :D

It's often easier I find to tell weight with a head-on bum shot... know what I mean?

Anyhoo, I can't see that you've got any reason to worry about him and if you're working him over the winter (you've clipped so I assume you are) things will only get trimmer!

BTW: ignore most bigheadded, knowitall, I'vebeenaroundhorsesumpteenyearslongerthanyouhaveNOVICE type comments :cool: You're doing okay as you are :D

He is lovely, Claire, and I don't actually think he needs to put on any more weight, to be honest. He will muscle up in time. Your clip looks fab as well - I might be inspired to give it a go, rather than pay to get Oscar done....

Well I think his weight looks just fine! He has bulked out since you got him and looks nice and healthy. Just be careful over the winter months if he loses condition that quickly. Maybe ask your feed supplier (or go to their online websites) to find out about non-fizzy condition supplements which may help. I certainly wouldn't go down the vet route.

How fat are the YO's horses if he is seen as being thin....!!!!!?

newrider.com