pulling manes for showing! Welshies!!

Jazzyb

Jul 25, 2007
Hi All

Just wanted some advice on pulling my little welsh A mane!

When I bought him over a year ago he had a lovely long thick mane now it has gone very thin from his withers half way up and looks scraggly and horrible!

I use him for In hand showing and have been advised that they need to be shown with long manes and tails.
I have been plaiting it the night before a show to make it crinkly so it hides some of the gaps and makes it look thicker! but now it is looking really bad :mad:

So my question is, what can I do to make it longer and thicker?? :confused:
Or am I allowed to pull it?

Many thanks

It says they should be shown in 'natural state' saying nothing about long manes/tails specifically ;)

I would just level the ends of to tidy it up a little bit, not every horse is blessed with a ton of mane and tail :D

I actually prefer welshies (particularly C/Ds) to have a lightly pulled mane thats not too long, looks much smarter than a long mane that over powers the rest of the horse.

Fab thanks, I think I will try and pull it a little bit to tidy it up. then hopefully it will come through thicker for next year! Fingers crossed! :)

I lightly pull my welsh Yearlings mane to about 8 inches long but wouldnt ever touch the forelock or pull the tail, lightly trim if needed but nothing major. The trick is to make it look natural ;)

I am going to pull his mane slightly this weekend and hope that it looks ok lol.
I have put below a pic of how bad his mane is! It looks awful!

jazzandh.jpg

Here is my A's mane - i pulled it the morning of the show!
The sticky up bit near her whither is where she rubbed it on the fence :mad:
4813_104021576827_511146827_2590250_4660297_n.jpg

Awww what a lovely little welshie! That is exactly how i want his mane to look natural but shorter as it looks all scraggly at the moment!! Ive still now worked up the courage to pull it yet though lol.

:) thank you! I think she is going to be overheight for an A and she will have to 'upgrade' to a B :(

Just do it, i was petrified i would make a mess out of it!!

newrider.com