purchasing a risky horse

All horses are risky....just as all humans are risky:D Sounds like she is gimpy at times which could be a touch of arthritis? Worth checking out. :) It all depends on what you want to do with her.

ok your right i would want to do small western pleasure/showmanship and english pleasure shows with her and do lessons and trails and its to rebuild my confidence in horses.

Last edited:
If you are getting a vet check then I would say pursue it.:) She sounds great for what you want. I bought a twenty three year old school horse who was very gimpy toward the end of his career at the school...but with some T.L.C. and one on one management of his arthritis....we have had and are still having a great time. Check her out....and get some more information on the "limp" I know people who have spent up to 30,000 on horses who were 'supposedly' sound...but had problems after the sale. It is always a risk but I also know people who have spent next to nothing on horses who have turned out to be outstanding. :) At least the owners were honest about the limp.

You should talk to Shadowlark...I think she has some horses that are right up your alley.

Personally, with all the cheap Quarter Horses in Alberta, I wouldn't pursue her. Yuo can get an extremely well broke QH who is SOUND for less then 3k, no problem.

She has a slight limp, but there's nothing wrong and she's not lame :confused: Surely by definition, she's a bit lame, and there's something a little wrong ! Personally, I would walk away, I think you'd be buying a bunch of someone else's problems. I think the vast majority or NR owners, if they had a horse that developed 'a bit of a limp sometimes' would be giving you vet reports, chiropractor reports ...they'd be having it investigated, supplemented .. they'd be fixing it and helping the mare however they could. 'Nothing Wrong' just isn't giving the impression that they've really looked into it.

No matter how nice the horse is, I wouldn't buy one with a limp (unless for a companion only). You'd probably only be buying trouble and expense!!​

Nope, would stay off. Anything can happen with horses, but never buy a horse that already comes with a limp, espcially if there is no knowledge of what causes it. If there was (including x-rays and vet opinions on possible improvement/deterioration etc.) then I might be willing to consider, but not based on to that advert. And the price is way too much for a limping horse.

Nina x

What is a perfect horse anyway?

No harm in going to have a look and a vet check, it may be something simple! At least they've been honest in the ad!

My initial feeling would be to walk away - however, we had 5 stage vetting done with Joe and within 6 months he had already begun to show signs of joint degeneration - and after a further 6 months pronounced unfit for jumping / heavy schooling anymore. In fact, he is now really only ok for light hacking and very very light schooling. So, what I'm saying is, you can think you are going the right thing and it can still go wrong! I guess there is no harm looking - and getting more info? Having had a whole raft of trouble with Joe and thinking I'd bought a super healthy horse, I can honestly say, there are no guarantees.

Fraid not Storm. Disco is VERY cool but too hot - and Shine.. well I want a bit too much for her. OH hang on.. there is a mare on my back field.. hmm I will talk to her owners next time I see them Tuff..She has arthritis - but it is completly manageable. I don't think they would sell her tho unless it was for a forever home, she is 19 total been there done that and the size you want. She has some muscle atrophy but aside from that.. she is one heck of a good horse. The vet figures she has another good 8 years under saddle.

I saw that add also. Slight limp could be nothing.. or it could be a serious something.
I wouldn't even go see her unless you intend to vet her take x-rays. Her price is low..I suspect they havn't investigated the issue and are looking to dispose of her before it gets worse. If you are interested in her - I would advise to either request X-rays be done, or that they knock the cost of x-rays off her price.

Flip side.. I bought Splash hopping lame. Now I KNEW why he was lame - and he came with x-rays so I knew exactly what I was buying into. He came sound in 6 weeks after 2 years of lameness.

Last edited:
OK I just reread the ad. Contact them and find out what's been done to diagnose the mares lameness. They may have already jumped the hoops.. although "it's nothing" isn't a normal vet diagnosis.. it may be a foot issue?

My other thought was to have a look at bearvalley's permanenet foster list. They have some oldies on there who have been there dont that got the t-shirt who may be suitable for you.

na ha! I knew I found a place the other day more in your neck of the woods with some broke horses in your range
http://www.freewebs.com/kmthorses1/forsale.htm
I don't know ANYTHING about them aside from what is on the site but stumbled across them

Last edited:
newrider.com