Purple Spray.. Stupid Question but..

Spider

Feb 19, 2008
A few of the girls at my RS have been having a big debate about purple spray (they tend to have debates atleast 5 times a week about different things!)

Some are saying that you can use purple spray on dogs (one girls dog cut his leg on barbed wire so she sprayed some on his leg! as well as washed it with hibiscrub!)

And others are saying that its dangerous to use on dogs, as is hibiscrub.

Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Don't see why - purple spray is just iodine (well, should be anyway) and is used on all types of livestock, never heard of it being harmful to dogs but willing to be correctted.

i don't see why you can't use it on whatever you like. funny story about purple spray, my auntie used to work as a microbiologist & they use the same stuff there for testing or something. one of the blokes was getting married & on the stag do, they got him really drunk, covered his man parts in iodine & left him to sleep. was stained purple on his wedding night, hahahaha.

I always use purple spray and hibiscrub on my dogs when they get cuts and its never done them any harm..
I've seen hibiscrub in vet surgerys and in hospitals so it must be okay

i don't see why you can't use it on whatever you like. funny story about purple spray, my auntie used to work as a microbiologist & they use the same stuff there for testing or something. one of the blokes was getting married & on the stag do, they got him really drunk, covered his man parts in iodine & left him to sleep. was stained purple on his wedding night, hahahaha.

That did make me giggle :D! Poor bloke! (my dad's mates tried to stick him on a train carrying milk to scotland on his stag night but they wouldn't let him on :p!)

Vet gave me Hibiscrub for cut on the dog and my nurse mates use it in hospital for people-recommended to dilute. Talking of which, someone said they use diluted meths on horses, esp hunters and the mud just drops off???? Someone on here told me to use Vanish on greys-accidentally sprayed it on Beau this week-same colour as Nafoff-ooops! I rinsed it off straightaway-blindingly white bits where it had been! Just think it may need lots of dilution!

I've always used purple spay on my dog with no ill effects, but do check the lable first.
Hibiscrub needs a good deal of dilution, but it's just as safe to use on dogs as it is on horses. I buy it from my local pharmacist as it is cheaper than from the vet :D

Hibi scrub is just iodene based so is good for cleaning wounds on any animal/person, it does contain alcohol though so can dry the skin out, always dilute too as is very harsh.
Purple/blue spray depending on the brand is just an antibiotic spray containing terramycin so is fine for any cut on any animal unless allergic to terramycin, I have used it on alsorts of creatures after I have cleaned the wound. It did used to contain gention violet(sp?!) and was used in hospitals etc but it is since banned as is carsinogenic ie causes cancer, but they kept sprays blue or purlpe so you can see where it has been applied!:D

The action of iodine (say in 'purple spray') is counteracted by the use of hibiscrub, the main component of which is chlorhexidine.

If you use iodine spray, then it is most effect when combined with an iodine based cleanser. Povidine Iodine (eg Betadine) can be purchased as a soapy scrub (surgical scrub - used as a preop hand cleanser), or as aqueous solution (used to wash wounds, or applied as a dressing in a variety of formats), can also buy same with an alcohol-base, stings like mad though .

You may well draw a blank stare from your local pharmacist if you ask for Povidine Iodine (will be sold as 'Betadine' or 'Videne') ; it's been my experience that these are best sourced at a pharmacy based within a hospital.

BH, I can remember using Potassium Permanganate and gentian violet waaaaaay back when! That was good stuff, very effective for little old ladies and their varicose ulcers! So were maggots for that matter, but we wont go there...

Last edited:
If its good enough for the horses its good enough me :D Cut my finger on a nail at the yard and just needed something to put on it as hands were filthy and I had the mucking out to finish and a dirty pony to groom before exercising so just had a little squirt of it :p I have had no ill side affects.

I know have germaline/savlon and some blue plasters (so they dont get left around for horses to eat) and that also doubles up as a good cream for bites/cuts on horses and it keeps the flies off too :D

Sudacrem is also mircle stuff but thats a different story :p

newrider.com