Put the harness on today

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I put the harness on billy for the first time since last march. No kicking out today. I'm so relieved.
When I put it on him last February after 2 months break from driving and his first time with me harnessing up since buying him, he had melt down and started kicking out with the breaching and crupper. Not at all what I expected considering he was suppose to have done more driving than riding. I put it on him again a month later and he still didn't seem happy. I decided to let him mature and just work on the riding for the year. He still doesn't seem happy in heavy traffic being ridden now so I'm not happy to drive him on the road.
I did long reined him on the road a few times without harness but I have less control than riding. My plan is to start doing some long reining in harness in readiness to drive him. My goal is to be driving him by the end of the year.
For now I'm just happy that today I have taken the first step to getting him driving again.

Reactions: Wally

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Just a thought reading this about his spookyness in traffic, if he's been driven more than ridden would he have done all his driving in blinkers? You might find he's used to hearing the traffic and big things but hasn't seen it before and thats why he's reacting so much to it. You might find once the blinkers go on he is much better on the roads.

My neighbours horse was backed/ridden in 2015 and he was great with traffic, then went to learn to drive in early 2016, at first they couldn't get him to settle in blinkers, he would try to turn to look at things or shoot off, then when he came home he couldn't settle without them if anything was behind him he got very upset, prancy, spinny, after a summer of doing both he's now good either way :) he's the most laid back cob, all the sillyness was totally out of character for him.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
I think it is because he's young and still needs to mature. The person that broke him does quite a bit of breaking to drive so probably gave him confidence on the road. I might try blinkers and long rein on the road, it's worth a go.
I'm going to try to harness once a week till end of Feb, then up it once nights draw out.
I do have the option to take him over to the person who broke him to put him to the carriage when I'm ready, but I want to spend time doing long rein groundwork so I know he listens to me.

Reactions: Jessey

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I know nothing about driving, but wanted to say good luck and hope it all continues to go well. And pictures would be nice :)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N What do you put in yours? Cafe 9
F Sarcoids – your experiences, and would they put you off buying? Cafe 21
chunky monkey See what im put through Cafe 0
MrC To put it bluntly Sh!te :( Cafe 24
domane Staying put! Cafe 3
MrC So the world was put to rights Cafe 11
R being to put the fount in lesson good sign(please not the best lesson today) First Timers 6
Star the Fell Need to put up electric fence for Winter Cafe 4
V Why does my horse put his head down when I canter him.What do I do with my outside leg when turning Cafe 2
Wally Tór and I put our big girls and boys pants on Hacking 2
SeeingSpots Put him in his standard neck they said, he'll like it they said...... Cafe 26
Jessey Ready to put to, but missing a vital part Other Disciplines 7
Jane&Ziggy Before I put my skis on, oops Cafe 15
No_Angel Would it put you off? Transport and Travelling 5
Trewsers What things do you put off and why?! Cafe 17
Kite_Rider Why do we put ourselves down? Cafe 10
L Not claim or claim would they still put an exclusion on? Horse Care 7
N Do All Horses Put Their Ears Back Trotting Inhand? Training of the Horse and Rider 16
KP nut Random Things That Put You Off Horse Adverts.... Cafe 46
Wally Put horses in a stable and... Cafe 7
L Would you put a cribbed on a main yard? Horse Care 18
N Put Out For The Rubbish Training of the Horse and Rider 13
Ale Ale has put on weight.. Horse Care 9
OwnedbyChanter Where do you put the head collar on Cafe 25
Trewsers Do your horses put their ears back at.... Cafe 14
Ale When do you put your medium weights on? Horse Care 24
Dark Storm Have put Shadow on Day, Son and Hewitt's Digestive Enhancer Cafe 3
joosie just put an important appointment in Mouse's diary Cafe 8
Innocence Not sure where to put this... Horse Care 5
Trewsers Wasn't sure where to put this, as it isn't necessarily just training.... Training of the Horse and Rider 11
ladywiththebaby Renovating trailer - what to put on floor and walls? Transport and Travelling 1
Trewsers Why don't they put the choccies loose in eggs? Cafe 14
R Have I put this myler bit on right ? Tack & Saddlery 20
N Where Can I Put :) Cafe 13
Sunshine-x Who put that ditch there?!!! Cafe 16
Cortrasna Turn the heat up or put another jumper on? Cafe 27
Vicki100 Where do you put your rosettes? Cafe 15
tiga RS horses being put down - homes needed Cafe 12
Wally This will put you in a foul mood for the rest of the day Cafe 22
Dark Storm Chaos in the garden has put pay to my yard plans for today Cafe 2
fairlady Put my Silly Worry to Rest...........Colt Owners/Breeders Horse Care 8
N Ok Put Your Hands Up, Who Is Hiding The Rugs? Cafe 3
N How Much Weight Would A Gelding Put On A Mare, When MountIng? Horse Care 8