putting a headcollar on a semi-wild foal

loubylou

Oct 21, 2008
Kent
Right, I have 4 horses, on a farm and I am moving them onto another farm to help progress their learning (they are all youngsters) and am having serious issues on teh farm where I am at the moment, as I cannot leave the field as risk being shot by hunters!! this is bad for my youngsters as they are not getting out and about like they should be.

I bought the horses 3 months ago, one of them (the foal) had never ever ever been handled before, and was terrified of humans. Given time he has come round, but I have still not got a headcollar on him.

he is on the same farm from where we have bought him, which has no stables or enclosed area in which we could do this, we are in an acre field minimum :(

I had organised a self drive horse box, that took 2 horses, and was goign to back the box up the the field gate, and herd foal on there after his mum, therefore not needing a headcollar, and then do the reverse the other end.

Just had a phonecall telling me the self drive box that I had hired for the move on sat cant be provided- the company have closed down today!!!

so after stressing for a bit have managed to arrange a transporter man (who was lovely on the phone) to come and move them for me at a similar pirce- in some ways this is better as all 4 can be moved together, and its down to him to drive etc! But being a 4 horse lorry wont be able to get to the field gate, but park about 50m away. This is the only transport I can get at short notice in this area.

PROBLEM

FOALIE STILL WONT LET ME PUT A HEADCOLLAR ON HIM :( :( :(
had hired a 2 horse box so could get it right to the gate (not enough room to get a lorry round to the gate, am pretty sure of that) so could herd him on, and then take it straight up to the field to get him off again- cant do that with a big horse lorry *sob

Would sedating him to put a headcollar on him be an option?? I only have a week (just over) so need to have him leading after his mum, and in a headcollar for then!!!

the field is such a quagmire we cant get the box in there! And the farm yard is up and running for the day- so there will be cars coming and going, so not safe to let him run loose from the field to the box 50m away.

I thought that maybe I could put a rope around his neck in the field, to guide him to the box, then put a headcollar on when he in the box. Its the unloading the other end that will be the problem- will need to lead him up to the new field, as you cant get a lorry up there

he isnt at all happy with having a rope around his neck, but its his nose thats the real problem (have got as far as a headcollar around his neck, but 3 hours later still couldnt get nose done up so gave up!!)can get him to put his nose in chesters rope parelli halter, but its too big so cant put it on him to lead him, and def cant leave him in it in box!!

Such a dilemma, I was hoping to take my time and do it when he came round- every day he is getting better, its such a shame we have to rush this last little bit!!

I just wish I would be able to tempt him, but he is so flighty- he only comes to you on his terms still. I have spent the last few weeks playing with a headcollar with him, draping chesters rope halter around his ears, getting his nose in it (just havent managed the two together) problem being he finds headcollars far more scary!- i think its the jingly fastenings! he has come on masses, is very happy to have ears handled (which is a bonus) and nose stroked, and handled around feed. just dont know what to do for the best, how to take the next jump without risking all that I have achieved so far- if it goes wrong I am buggered!!

Not moving is not really an option now for a wide range of reasons!

Can someone come and do it for me? :( I was so excited about this move now I just want to cry!!!

Sounds like your almost there with the foal...
You only need to give him a day or a wkend when you can plan to spend however long it takes to get him use to the headcollar most of the work you have already done...
I found when working with my ponio who was terrified of headcollars that stroking his neck with the headcollar help to get him use to the sight of it...
Get your foal use to being stroked under the chin (if hes not already) as this will help you bring the headcollar closer to his face my ponio would only let me put the headcollar on with one arm stretched over his neck the other hand holding the nose piece open & bringing the headcollar up under his face over his nose with the arm stretched over his neck use that to get hold of the other side of the headcollar to bring it up over & do up...
Its probably not the easiest method as you need to be stood at their shoulder to reach without leaning over them as that can be scary...this was the only method i found work with my ponio...
It will take practice which is why you dont have any time restrictions but you've got all the ground work with the foal started use his mother for confidence even in a open space the trust of the mother & foal should keep them close enough for you to work with them...:D:D

thanks you have reassured me, as this is basically what i have been doing. I have a few days off between now and then, and am going to enlist the help of a friend to help me (Arabmare on here lol)

Fingers crossed we will crack it :) I managed it with my other boy, who's fear was 10 times worse than this foals fear so am pretty confident I can do this again- its just the time factor!! :)

thanks for your help

Its sounds like all the ground work already in place so it shouldnt take you long to crack it...plan a day take lunch make a day of it with your friend ;)
Your foal should be easy if your other horse was worst than him lol you'll know the tricks to attempt with him good luck with the move hope all goes well cant wait to see the pics in your new home :D:D

All sounds like great advice - all I might add is that bearing in mind you have some distance to cover on the way to the lorry and out to the new field, 'd consider going with a rope halter rather than a headcollar. You'll have a good bit more control.

I have an unhandled 2 year old. terrified of people and being caught.

IN the end I made a pen with gates and fed them in it every day for a week, then on the las day I shut them in the pen and did battle. Once I had hold of him we used the other horses to give him courage and we let him follow on a long rope half being led half being dragged and he loaded inot the trailer fine

I would avoid doing battle if you can, undo the noseband and throatlatch on the headcollar and get him used to having it on his wither. Use approach and retreat so he's happy having it further and further up his neck, and then do the throatlatch up. More approach and retreat and you can eventually pull it up onto his head and do the noseband up. As far as the leading goes get him used to giving to pressure using a sweater or something similar round his neck and bum, releasing when he gives. If time is short then he'll go where his friends do anyway.

Great advice here and hard to add anything. I've done all this last week with my unhandled rescue yearling. He was actually sedated to travel to me (6 hrs) and they managed to headcollar him for the first time that day. It took 45 mins. Since then I've worked with him and can now gently put it on in a trice.
I had meant it to stay on for a week or two in the field (which I don't normally do but needs must). However he has taken it off twice already by himself.
I do find having a calm older horse nearby is a great help.
Good luck I hope it goes well.

Had I tried, in his case to introduce any kind of advance and retreat with this chap I'd still be there.

Touching him with a hand was enough to make him buckle at the knees.

Had I "tourtured" him for that length of time he'd have suffered melt down.

Sometimes with some horses you are better off getting in there and not messing about, get the headcollar on and go.

Yesterday, about 2-3 weeks after this initial encounter Frances and I were brave, or foolhardy enough to turn him out without the headcollar again.

We will see, today whether our folly has paid off or not!

I would avoid doing battle if you can, undo the noseband and throatlatch on the headcollar and get him used to having it on his wither. Use approach and retreat so he's happy having it further and further up his neck, and then do the throatlatch up. More approach and retreat and you can eventually pull it up onto his head and do the noseband up. As far as the leading goes get him used to giving to pressure using a sweater or something similar round his neck and bum, releasing when he gives. If time is short then he'll go where his friends do anyway.

You beat me to it Yann, that's exactly how I'd go about it. :)

I too have had to resort to tactics similar to Wally's in the past with young horses..........particularly some Dartmoor ponies which a client of mine brought up from the moor as foals, then asked me to halter them as unhandled three year olds.

In an ideal world the job would be done over a couple of months using advance and retreat and desensitising practice, but when the job has to be done, it has to be done.

I have used Heras fencing to good effect in the past. That's the sort of fence panels you see around building sites. With a pony in the pen the sides can be moved in gradually so that the pony is effectively held between two sections while hands through the mesh apply the desirable headware.

You should be able to hire such fencing from a builders yard locally at reasonable cost.

Sometimes, where possible, it's better to work with the mare and foal in a small space where the movement is limited by the walls of a couple of buildings with gates positioned over any exits. With someone holding the mare on a halter, it's possible to position her so that the foal is held by her body whilst second person works around her neck to fit the foal with a halter.

Yesterday we were doing just that with some unhandled foals for microchipping and passporting, although we had the benefit of a narrow passage in the stable block.......taking the mare and foal up to a closed door, then opening a stable door across the passage behind them. I then came in through the door in front of them and haltered the foals, using the mares to restrict the foals' scope.

Be careful, though, as one of the filly foals struck my in the abdomen with a forefoot.

The easy part may be getting the halter on..........persuading the foal to follow its mother into a lorry, haltered for the first time, may be more difficult.

For the record, I've found that unhandled foals are often easier to move on a halter, if your pressure and release timing is good, than are some older horses which may have been badly handled previously.

As they say, needs must when the Devil is driving. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

have done this, he has trotted around the field with it rattling around on his whithers for about 10 mins too when he spooked away from it, when he realised it wouldnt eat him he stopped and grazed! Now have got it so I can put it half way up his neck without too much hassle, if I am quiet I can do it up, and flip it round- its the noseband bit I cant get done! last time I did this though was 2 weeks ago, and since then i have tried to desensitise him to having his nose touched and played with.

I can also get him to put his nose happily into a headcollar thats already done up- its the faffing around doing it up that worries him, and he spooks away! But if its already done up, he can see the rest of the headcollar, which will need doing up, and is equally as scared! Just cant get the two together yet.

have looked at the pen method, and will use that nearer the time if needs must- I am hoping that it wont come to that, and a bit of gentle bribary (lickits and feed if need be) to distract him while I do the rest of it up!

Am not hugely worried about the leading issue, we have moved him around so far by getting him to follow his mum, which he does to an art! Will put a lunge line on for our reassurance (so he isnt completely loose getting to the box) and let him follow mum as normal. I will work on leading him if I get the headcollar on sooner rather than later- but that is my big battle!

Thanks all soooo mcuh for your replies- it doesnt seem so much like a impossible task, especially when i have different methods to swoop in and try now :) Much appreciated all of you!

Am off up for a play in a min, will let you know how i get on!

If you can do hat much with the head collar, you could work with the foal by putting the collar on but, instead of trying to fasten it, just hold it for a second or two, then take it off again.

Also, when the foal starts to move away, instead of staying where you are and letting him retreat, try moving with him while you allow the collar to remain on for a further second or so, before allowing it to come off.

Sometimes a rope over the neck, used lightly as you move around with the foal, is enough to give time to fix the buckle on the collar.

Try not to hold against the foal as this will make him fight you, or move away sharply.........better to feel the rope and, watching as you do so for sign that he is about to go, you can give the rope which may persuade him to stay slightly longer, then you can build from there.

If you're in need of any professional help with this there's a good trainer in your patch who would be able to help you move the process on or just get the job done as kindly as possible, Suzanne Marshall. Her contact details are on http://www.intelligenthorsemanship.co.uk/content/view/47/97/

ETA I see you've also had some good advice posting this on the IHDG :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, our straight forward method worked, and the terrified little chap of a month ago was the first through the gate today, and the first to come up and have a headcollar put back on, Yesterday was the first time we have let him back out without it since penning him and getting it on him.

He has changed so much over such a short time, I am so pleased with his progress, when he first arrived he would collapse at a human touch and go into terror and the attempt to get a headcollar on him.

It is the use of the herd that has done it, he is with a bunch of confident, easy going geldings who have shown him that humans and headcollars are not scary. Using the herd like this to educate a wild pony is so much less stressful for them, humans can only communicate so much, horses do a much better job.

Its on!!!
It took me nearly 4 hours, in the pouring rain (I was wet right through to my knickers, despite waterproofs) I was in mud that went over my wellies in places (the field shelter is just appalling, its a wonder my horses dont have severe mud fever tbh!)

I spent about 3 hours just playing with it with him- putting it on withers, neck, stroking him etc- he objected a lot (far more than ever before) and actually did a couple of mini rears at times!

I really really didnt think I would get it on, so thought I would leave it there and went and mixed feeds up and calm down a bit (didnt want to get to stressed around him) 20mins later I went back and put the feeds in. I managed to get the headcollar round his neck and done up, and then slipped up into place behind his ears- he still needed the nose done up, this took about 20 mins....

I thought I might have to leave him like this as he grew wise and stopped coming near me :(

THEN I went and grabbed his horselyx pot (one of the little ones) put one down in the mud for mum to lick (he is far more confident when she is near by) and helf one out for the foal, 2 mins later he was licking it, so i wedged it between me and the fence (I was one side he was the other- again something else I know gives him a lot more confidence)

I spent ages stroking his nose, and pretending to do the nose up- everytime the two bits joined and he felt it both sides of his nose he spooked and backed up about 4 steps (just out of reach) and everytime I let go so as not to worry him. Eventually he grew tired, realised it wasnt hurting him, and I managed to thread it through the buckle (although not do it up) before he spooked away. And when he came back I got the buckle done up!!

I sat there in the dark, in the mud, and cried I was so happy!! Anyone looking would think I was a loon!!

He wouldnt let me near really after this, he had enough horselyx and him and mum went back into the field shelter with the others out of the rain, so I left him alone. The headcollar is a little loose, so if he really tries to get it off he will, but am keeping fingers crossed he wont, and over the next few days I will have a chance to tighten it!

A friend is coming up to help me tuesday, and we are going to teach him to lead behind his mum- just enough to give him a little more confidence!

I am over the moon :)

I have one, rather shoddy photo
P281108_1619.jpg

I was getting rained on, holding a lickit and crying so excuse the rubbishness, but it captures the moment lol!!!

a very happy louby!!!

xxx

newrider.com