Putting a horse in western saddle

Jackblack

Sep 4, 2008
was out on a hack with mr p today and kept having to fix how i was sitting, was being pushed forward, thought it was just me having a bad seat but have now realised that it is a mix of the saddle and his back (has a bend/twist in his spine)

so my question is can i put a western saddle on him or does he need to be trained to be used to it, i think it would help his back and give me a better seat too so he wouldnt feel like i was nervous always tipping forward. i have never been in a western saddle so it could take a bit of getting used to but could be fun. Also with the western saddle should i use the western bit too or can i keep his normal bridle which he absolutly loves.

my horses both go beautifully in western saddles, they are much more forward and relaxed than in their english ones. it can be as different as you want. only thing you cant really do is a rising trot so you have to do sitting which can be fun!
if you're going the whole hog then western riding is obviously very different (aids etc) to english but you can still use your english bridle and just go with the different saddle.
bet you love it- absolultely love mine and so enjoy hacking out in it.:D

A western saddle will feel a bit different to him, so might take a couple of short sessions to get used to the idea, but so long as it fits him there is no reason he shouldn't be perfectly happy in one. The larger pannels should spread the weight more across his back.

A western saddle, depending on the sort, will give you a different seat, but it won't cure any underlying issue you have (in the nicest possible way :eek:) You can use which ever bridle you like, with which ever bit you like. Most western horses are at least started in snaffles, curbs are saved for finnished horses :D

my horses both go beautifully in western saddles, they are much more forward and relaxed than in their english ones. it can be as different as you want. only thing you cant really do is a rising trot so you have to do sitting which can be fun!
if you're going the whole hog then western riding is obviously very different (aids etc) to english but you can still use your english bridle and just go with the different saddle.
bet you love it- absolultely love mine and so enjoy hacking out in it.:D

eek i cant wait till tomorrow when i try it on him so ill get pics too of me riding with him.

A western saddle will feel a bit different to him, so might take a couple of short sessions to get used to the idea, but so long as it fits him there is no reason he shouldn't be perfectly happy in one. The larger pannels should spread the weight more across his back.

A western saddle, depending on the sort, will give you a different seat, but it won't cure any underlying issue you have (in the nicest possible way :eek:) You can use which ever bridle you like, with which ever bit you like. Most western horses are at least started in snaffles, curbs are saved for finnished horses :D

underlying problem, ha i like it, im slowly but surely working on that and i think i am really getting somewhere, keep getting forward and nervous but he lets me know and we both have a sigh together, he is so good, ah all excited now ill get pics for everyone

only thing you cant really do is a rising trot so you have to do sitting which can be fun!

Oh for heaven's sake - where is this misconception coming from ? :mad:
Please tell me WHY you can't do rising trot in a western saddle ? :rolleyes:
The only thing I wouldn't recommend would be jumping, especially if you have a prominent horn on your saddle (like a cutting saddle for example).
Did you know that it's possible to do "rising trot" bareback, yes, that's without stirrups (and a saddle for that matter).

To the OP, whether it be an english saddle, western saddle or any other type the most important factor will be if it fits your horse. If you have a doubt, please get a saddle fitter out.
As for your horse's conformation and 'twist in the back' - maybe you should get a back person out to check ?

As for your horse's conformation and 'twist in the back' - maybe you should get a back person out to check ?

I have done this already the day that we brought him down we stopped at a chiropractor, he is not in any pain and she actually recommended a western saddle to distribute the weight better. have to keep an eye on him though so he is checked after every hack or session i do with him. :)

Have you had a back person out or the vet about his twist? There is a misconception that you can just buy any old western saddle (not saying yours is!), 'pad up' the horse and ride straight away. You can't. It is just as important to get a fitter out for your western as it is for your english. Riding in a badly fitting saddle (which will be much much heavier) may compound his (and your, if he is uncomfortable and making you nervous) problems.

It is also wise to give him a blast round on the lunge first, especially if it has a belly strap as some horses are a bit funny with them at first.

edit: cross posted about the back thing, sorry! :eek:

right i will get the man out that makes the western saddle and breaks in the horses western style too but it could take a couple of days, so will give him a ring now.

It is also wise to give him a blast round on the lunge first, especially if it has a belly strap as some horses are a bit funny with them at first.

Do be careful - the belly strap is only meant to be a security to stop the back of the saddle lifting too much (during cattle roping for example). I know of some people who hack for days over all types of terrain which use the 'belly strap' but most day-to-day riders just don't have the need.
It is not, by any means, to be considered as an 'extra girth to keep saddle on horse's back'.

Do be careful - the belly strap is only meant to be a security to stop the back of the saddle lifting too much (during cattle roping for example). I know of some people who hack for days over all types of terrain which use the 'belly strap' but most day-to-day riders just don't have the need.
It is not, by any means, to be considered as an 'extra girth to keep saddle on horse's back'.

Agreed. The only people I know who use and have a need for a flank cinch are people who do high level cattle work and over VERY rough terrain. If there's a flank cinch, just take it off.

centaur

is your horses back twisted or does your saddle twist?these can be two totally different things if the spine is twisted it suggests a vet would be your first point of call not a saddle fitter! also if the saddle is twisting, usually due to asometric muscle development you could try a treeless saddle with one of the gel type saddle pads which i find very effective,and your horse might love you for it.good luck.

is your horses back twisted or does your saddle twist?these can be two totally different things if the spine is twisted it suggests a vet would be your first point of call not a saddle fitter! also if the saddle is twisting, usually due to asometric muscle development you could try a treeless saddle with one of the gel type saddle pads which i find very effective,and your horse might love you for it.good luck.

his back is twisted, i had vet and chiropractor out and chiro advised about a western saddle for him but he is sound at the minute, just no jumping allowed on him at all and a happy life to be lead hacking around the countryside.

newrider.com